Watch out for this guy - bullshitter alert!

bubba

Administrator
Please see :: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andrewmoorhouse/index.html

This guy claims to be part of "International and National Search and Rescue" - that organisation doesn't exist.

He has also claimed to be a member of "Harrogate Mountain Rescue", another organisation that doesn't exist.

He also claims to be an access officer for two of the biggest outdoor organisations in the UK - this also appears to be a lie.

He is known to the South Yorkshire Police for reasons we won't disclose here.

The Peak District Mountain Rescue Organisation are going to have words with him, and all the other UK mountain rescue organisations have been notified.

bubba

Administrator
Why all the fuss you may ask - he's just a harmless gobshite.

Well, recently he was at an accident in Giant's Hole where one of his party fell the length of Garland's suffering back injuries. You'd have thought that a "rescue expert" firstly would never have allowed this to happen, and secondly would have been able to rescue the injured party.

Unfortunately not. A real rescue organisation had to be called in to help.

It would also be worrying if he joined any organisations, etc or got into a postition with such responsibilites when he is clearly peddling false information. People who don't know any better may easily be taken in by his tales, so please keep an eye out and alert your clubs, etc.

SamT

I heard all about the giants rescue - the guy sounded like a right numpty. Not long after I heard he was enquiring about Titan!! :shock:

Lucikly someone else got there first and f&cked up the access with a less serious accident :wink:

G

GSR

it's odd how the climbing action shots seem to have been rotated - turning a person crouching on a slight hill into what might seem to be someone who is actually climbing :roll:
(http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andrewmoorhouse/ScoopnBro.jpg is the best example)

or perhaps i'm just being over cynical. (no it's more that i didn't read his page properly - though you can hardly hold it against me that i didn't want to read all that crap)

(also why wasn't this in a more general forum? don't you think all cavers should be aware of this eejit?)

SamT

GSR said:
(also why wasn't this in a more general forum? don't you think all cavers should be aware of this eejit?)

Hmm - I thought that too. He's based in sheffield and does his caving in the peak I think. But it aint that far to yorkshire.

Stu

Funny how Sheffield isn't that far from Yorkshire..........

:tom:

:LOL:

Sorry Sam....

Stu

S'ok. I'm always shifting Sheffield's geographical boundaries, as in...

"I'm off to Yorkshire this weekend..

But we're in Yorkshire" etc!!

This guy seems to have stirred up some emotion.

SamT

Know what you mean. Still better that people know about him and can make their own balanced assumptions about him.

He definately gives off wierdo vibes.

bubba

Administrator
He's been involved in two accidents apparantly - if he can't lead a trip into Giants and was thinking of doing Titan, then you can imagine what might happen.

Convincing bullshitters like this are dangerous because they take advantage of the trust of people who don't know enough about the sport to see through their lies.

Stu

If SY police are involved there is more to it than meets the eye.

"I hate the weird ones"...

cap n chris

My non-expert appraisal of this chap's site and his style of writing leads me (non-expert, remember?) to suspect that this chap is what would have been euphemistically described in the past as "a bit simple; soft in the head etc.". Nowadays of course he would probably most likely be described as being four cans short of a four pack, nuts, "care in the community" or just a complete looney.

My apologies if I have offended any genuinely nuts, "care in the community" looneys who are four cans short of a four pack.... Y'our're na'mes' not' And'rew Moo'rh'ou'se', i's i't?

Bill looks scared in the photo, doesn't he? - everyone else just looks nuts too.

bubba

Administrator
Amusingly, his photos of him training in Canada, are in fact taken in Scotland :roll:

F

fox20thc

This guy is quite famous as being a complete "nobody"; a total fantasist who collects gullible people who have no or little knowledge of the outdoor scene and recruits them as followers. A CLASSIC INFERIORITY COMPLEX SCENARIO. His actions at Giant's Hole actually caused the accident, he was totally unable to effect a rescue and would probably have killed his girlfriend if two Eldon members (one also DCRO) hadn't told him to bugger off and took control. He is a total fraud with no consideration for the people he may injure or kill. He claims to friends that he was in the SAS and was asked to leave with the express reason of setting up International & National Rescue (which doesn't exist!) He was never in the SAS either. Visit his website. He used to hang around various outdoor shops wearing his IS&R patch (which I believe he had made himself) trying to collect novices. He is a dangerous individual and all should be aware of him. Many people are currently investigating Moorhouse, let's hope he grows up and gets a life. :shock:

bubba

Administrator
He has taken down his site, so at least some good has come of this.

Some kind person has mirrored it here and I've taken a copy for our records:

http://www.skyhook.ath.cx/myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andrewmoorhouse/

bubba

Administrator
If you see this badge / business card, don't believe it - there's no such organisation:

INSR.jpg

cap n chris

To some extent, yes. BUT.... how sorry do you feel for someone who is leading trusting newbies into danger (and causing them injury)?

On Moorhouse's site, under "W'ha't's N'ew'" he writes "On another note myself and the friends I cave with have been spending a lot time at late refreshing are Caving skills due to an accident that occured on the 28th of December 2003 when a member of our team fell 16 feet to the bottom of a waterfall in a cave system and broke and fractured a vertebra in the lower back. Which just goes to show that know matter how good or how well experienced you are anyone can have an accident"...

See link...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/3354325.stm

Presumably it's only a matter of time before he inadvertently gets someone involved in a fatality.

However, if he's not breaking any laws then I suppose there's not a lot anyone can do other than make it known to as many people as possible that the bloke is a maverick and should be avoided.