Pindale Quarry Ownership

Fatman

Hi
Does anyone know who owns Pindale Quarry for any future projects, climbing and caving.

Cheers

Mark

Its up for sale at the moment so unless you are buying it, don't think too long term

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-56613759.html

AR

It's been on the market for quite a few years now, since the Peak Park said "no" to it being turned into a caravan park...

pwhole

Apparently lower prices have been offered in an attempt to 'move things along', but the seller didn't agree, so nothing has happened. It's not much use a climbing venue really as the face is falling to pieces - presumably why the quarry was abandoned in the first place. I think big chunks of Moss Rake are still in a similar static situation.

Pindale cave still has excellent prospects as a dig. It's on the same horizon as White River and heading towards Dirtlow Rake. There's masses of very old broken stall in the mud fill we were digging out. Sadly it's not been touched since I moved up to Cumbria 8 years ago. We lost the way on and got distracted by a side rift but the main way on would be easy digging. There was even a railway installed at one point. We had permission from English Nature as was at the time. I'd love someone to prove my hunch correct and make a significant discovery there 👍🏻

pwhole

Was there ever any water in there in wet weather or was it largely just sediment-filled passage with drips? I've had a look at the entrance several times on walks but never managed to go into it with caving kit on I'm ashamed to say.

Mostly drips from the roof joint which seems to be a small calcite scrin. There were one or two trickles in small side rifts when it got very wet but nothing I would describe as active. There was a steady outward draft most of the time, noticeable as the capping fumes from the far end at the face would blow out through the entrance in a short space of time. Apart from it being muddy and occasionally squalid it was a good fun place to dig regularly on a Wednesday night and occasionally we'd manage a good session at the weekend.

pwhole

I'll go and have a look then as soon as I can wash my kit afterwards! It does seem quite promising. Me and Domee dug out a clay-filled joint higher up the hill a couple of years ago that looked quite interesting and was heading toward Cave Dale but no permission, no draught and nowhere to put the spoil eventually put the dampers on that - though I'd still give it another go if pushed for something to do.

Really worth a quick trip and shouldn't be too muddy at this time of year. About 20m in we dug slightly left in a parallel joint that wasn't the way on. Where we dug left the main tube carries straight on and that's where we should have dug with hind sight. You'll see what I mean when you have a look. If I hadn't moved up North and Ben Stevens hadn't gone to Wales we'd be a lot further in by now....
Lots of room for spoil in the quarry as well....

pwhole

alastairgott said:
pwhole said:
as soon as I can wash my kit afterwards!

we'll have to get the hut open sharpish for you then :) unless you don't mind washing off in the river from peak cavern.

I would at a pinch - at least at this time of year. We'll see - work is now a bigger obstacle to me than coronavirus, but at least I can buy some new shovels when it's over  ;)

And yes, for once, spoil isn't really an issue. Didn't you get all your drag ropes pinched near the end?