Ebay & self righteousness!

Stu

Trawling Ebay as one does, I ventured to look at the climbing bits and bobs to gauge prices on some things I may sell. Came across a rather interesting sale.

One Rock Climbing Harness as new used handful of times

Pretty sure Troll have not made the Freestyle since the days I wasn't a bad climber (a long time ago) and even so, this was the old style blue one so the claim it was "like new" was spurious to say the least. Even worse was the claim that this item was a "complete harness" - it wasn't, it was just the leg loop section with a "handy belay loop at the back" !!!! It was turned around in the pic. I mailed the guy and asked was what was in the pic the complete deal. Yes was the reply.

Two people had bid on this item. I did a bad thing. I emailed them expressing my concerns. I tried to remain impartial ( I don't know what they want it for - but a climbing harness suggests something to me!).

Do I keep my beak out of it in future or become the Ebay guardian angel. Can't see anything on Ebay that goes anyway for people with a complaint like mine to run with. Ebay would no doubt claim Caveat Emptor (sp?).

SamT

Hmm - tricky one that - guess if you feel stongly enough about the quality of the item or the honesty of the seller then there is nothing to stop you warning the buyers. It aint against the law - and they might thank you for in the end.

pisshead

I'd say definately butt in! If the seller isn't good enough to admit it isn't a full harness then why not tell the buyers, at least then they may be able to make a slightly more informed choice...

i suppose

Stu

Feel slightly better in that one of the bidders emailed me to say they'd pulled out after having been told it was a full harness. They were new to climbing and didn't have a clue really.

T

tiggs

I think you did the right thing.

Does anyone know if the trades descriptions act law also applies to ebay? If the seller of the item was a shop trader surely you would (technically) be able to "do" him for trades descriptions act.

I once bought a "new" goodwebsite guide book off ebay, it turns out by new they meant they hadnt read it blah blah blah, not that it was the latest edition, it was a very early edition. (it was of some use and arrived quickly, well wrapped and was still in its original wrapper, so i just put it down to experience.

Stu, how's your leg?