How superstitious are you?!!!

T

tiggs

Just wondered if anyone was superstitious...its Friday the 13th tomo!
Has anyone had any really bad experiences or do you reckon its a load of B*llox?!! Are you superstitious about anything else? (black cats/walking under ladders/ seeing magpies etc)

My mum reckons its bad luck to give Knives/ scissors as wedding presents - you will end up severing the friendship - according to her :-S

Stu

tiggs said:
Just wondered if anyone was superstitious...its Friday the 13th tomo!
Has anyone had any really bad experiences or do you reckon its a load of B*llox?!! Are you superstitious about anything else? (black cats/walking under ladders/ seeing magpies etc)

My mum reckons its bad luck to give Knives/ scissors as wedding presents - you will end up severing the friendship - according to her :-S

My wife and I bought a knive set with some vouchers we got.... wonder how she is!!! Perhaps there's some truth in that!!!

Beware the boulders of Roaring Hole is my new favourite!

D

darkplaces

Cobblers the lot of it, including that god rubbish. I'm underground on Friday and am not worried one tiny bit... All of that stuff has come from when we were a lot dumber then we are right now, we didnt know why stuff happened so made up storys to explan it. If stuff happened and we didnt understand we would blame it on someone and call them a witch and burn them. Oh how 'some' of us have managed to move on and change. Some of us used to dance nakid smeared in goats blood in hope the sun would return the next morning....

I ant doing that again.. :roll:

pisshead

although on that note, the American Indians (can't remember which tribe) had a very successful rain dance - dance around the fire banging on drums and chanting...don't stop until it rains...

...worked every time :)

D

Dave H

tiggs said:
If I remember correctly; you are supposed to give a silver coin to anyone presenting you with a knife to avoid the bad luck.

You won't get me worrying about superstition - touch wood! :LOL:

dunc

Just wondered if anyone was superstitious
Nope, don't go for all that kind of nonsense..

If I remember correctly; you are supposed to give a silver coin to anyone presenting you with a knife to avoid the bad luck
I never knew of that until this evening when I watched Ray Mears survival thingy.. So yes you remember correctly!

T

tiggs

I don't buy into all that rubbish either, it just amuses me when you see people crossing streets to avoid ladders, stopping in bed all day when its friday the 13th, panicking everytime they see a magpie, avoiding black cats etc. Life is too SHORT for such nonsense. (and Ironing!!)
:LOL:

I used to cave with "Ben" Bentham in the early nineties, as a mining engineer from the Cornish Tin Mines he was quite superstitious. He went absolutely spare if anyone started whistling underground.

T

twllddu

tiggs said:

Watching Ray Mears on TV last night and apparently if the person you give the knife to gives you a silver coin in return the friendship will not be severed.

Now where's those chicken bones got to ........

:)

D

darkplaces

See walking under ladders isnt superstitious, its common sense really if someone is up it, last thing you want is a wet window washers bucket on your head. I guess thats how it came about, some granny somewhere telling kids its all superstitious and rubbish so they would not walk under ladders and an accident would not happen. WOW it all becomes clear and logical when you apply logic.

T

tiggs

ok so why is it supposed to be bad luck to put an umberella up indoors? and why is it supposed to be bad luck to put your shoes on the table(apart from it being totally unhygienic?!) and why do people hire chimney sweeps to attend weddings ? why do some people think that green cars are unlucky? what about throwing salt over your shoulder when you spill some?
my mum reckons that you shouldnt dry your hands on the same towel at the same time as anyone else or you will have a big row....:LOL:

T

tubby two

Some of us used to dance nakid smeared in goats blood in hope the sun would return the next morning....

Not been to yorkshire in a while then...

tt.

T

tiggs

Not been to yorkshire in a while then...
Oi Tubbytwo what you trying to say?! That all yorkshire folks STILL have a tendency to dance naked smeared in goats blood?! :LOL:

Dancing naked in the rain is ONE THING dancing naked wearing eau de billygoat is something else entirely! ( i only do one of these things lol n then only when v bored :chortle chortle:

M

Melanie lloyd

I would never go underground without wearing my lucky caving bra.

T

tiggs

Melanie Lloyd said:
would never go underground without wearing my lucky caving bra.

Oh nooooooooooooooooo here we go again - back to bra's and knickers!!!! (*you watch out folks....theres bound to be one of the lads who says " me neither" :LOL:)

Bubba perhaps we ought to have a special forum just about underwear? tee hee!!

Wolfart

Was flown back from Hong Kong on fri 13th just made it to our wedding,that was 27 years ago how unlucky is that? hey mel does that go with your lucky thong?

kay

what about throwing salt over your shoulder when you spill some?

That's to throw it in the eyes of the Devil, who sits on your left shoulder (you know that he's there because otherwise you wouldn't have spilt the salt). Sounds silly, but salt was at one time quite valuable (salary basically means salt money) so spilling some probably was more than the trivial thing it is today.

No matter how logical you are, superstitions can be quite hard to throw off - for example, I'd find it very hard to give someone a present of a purse or wallet and not put a small coin in it.

T

tiggs

I just find all this kind of stuff (what people believe in that is!) really interesting. (i think i might do my other 2 party pieces in a min :LOL:)