miner's productivity and wages

D.Send

Hi,
I have been asked questions about the pay of medieval miners, and how much rock or minerals they had to extract per day.

Should anyone know of any possible references, we should be very grateful indeed.

Thanks,
    D. Send.

AR

Probably a good starting point would be Peter Claughton's book "Mining in a Medieval Landscape: the Royal silver mines in the Tamar Valley" - I don't know how much detail there would be, if any, on the miners pay and what they were expected to do to earn that. Given how sketchy most records are for that period, it could be a bit of a long shot.

tomferry

I find anything pre 1600 is a very long shot sadly their are minimal ?solid? records in my searches of places , I hope you have better luck than me I always end up getting on the lines of ?this place is Roman ? but all solid traces have been destroyed so their is only whispers .

Graigwen

Down and beyond said:
I find anything pre 1600 is a very long shot sadly their are minimal ?solid? records in my searches of places , I hope you have better luck than me I always end up getting on the lines of ?this place is Roman ? but all solid traces have been destroyed so their is only whispers .

Years ago I came to the conclusion that the description "Roman" could be applied to any work without traces of blasting. So its not very helpful.