Warmth

cap n chris

Thinking of doing more caving, oops! Potholing, in Yorkiepuds soon but would like to know when the weather's nice. Is it the first or last week in August?... I can't remember.

Brains

Nah, not August at all - thats when they have booked the thunderstorms for! (Honest - check the met stats) Sept is usually nice, or flaming June

AndyF

cap 'n chris said:
Is it the first or last week in August?... I can't remember.

Which year..???

Remember kids, potholing is expensive when it rains. I went at the w/e, it rained and I came back with a new oversuit, cowstail, tackle bag, a camera pelicase and some "special offer" rope from Inglesplat. Now I can't afford to cave for the next 3 months.... :cry:

dunc

The weather is generally nice all year round, although we do have the occasional nasty spell where the skies clear and the sun shines.

E

emgee

Dunc said:
The weather is generally nice all year round, although we do have the occasional nasty spell where the skies clear and the sun shines.

Strange I was sat in Bernies lunch time Saturday and I sent a text to my mates whose dig in Wales was rained off telling them how nice the weather was. Warm and sunny.

M

MSD

Sigh....still winter here. Stacks of snow yesterday and lots of miserable digging to clear my drive. Snow at this time of year is terrible because it is wet and sets like concrete (the ground is still well below zero). The sun then melts the surface giving (in my case) an ice rink inclined at an angle of 10 degrees which is totally impossible to drive on. Then the snow plough goes past on the road, leaving a big wall of snow imprisoning me and my car and the whole job to do again....

Still, at least I can go skiing whenever I like!

Mark

T

tubby two

Bit off topic...

Mark, where in sweden are you? i'm going to the south for a week over easter and am getting excited at the prospect of snow to play in! Are there any caving areas worth visiting (big easy or showcaves only really, no tackle) within reach of malmo?

...Back on topic...

Ther's nowt wrong wit' yorkshire weather. It suits me webbed toes just grand!

tt.

M

MSD

I am in Dalarna, which is mid-Sweden. There might well still be some snow in Malmö, but not to the same extent as here.

Malmö is probably about as far as you can get from the caves in Sweden without actually leaving the country! There are no limestone caves within 500km. There are a few rather insignificant boulder caves, but nothing more.

The main limestone caving areas are:

a) the island of Gotland (in the Baltic east of Stockhom)
b) the "near north", perhaps 500km north of where I live and close to the Norwegian border
c) The "far north", miles above the artic circle in the absolute middle of nowhere. That's about 1300km from where I live and 1900km from Malmö. Getting there is a major journey, especially since the nearest road is 25km from the caves.

Conclusion: You are rather unlikely to go caving in your Easter holiday!

Mark

T

tubby two

where are you going to the south of tubby two?

Get back to work you cheeky little bu**er! You've got a city to 'policy develop' or whatever you do, if you do anything at all.

tt.

M

MSD

I suspect a Swedish girl must be "at the bottom" of this escapade, so to speak.

That means Tubby must join the Swedish Speleo Federation or face the consequences.... "Tubby Two" translated in Swedish. Believe me, it does not sound good!

Mark :D