Cwmorthin housekeeping/work weekend 12th & 13th Jan 2008

D

darkplaces

Plenty of notice for them ear which like them mines in north wales.

The objective is to finish re timbering the Lake Level entrance and rebuild stairs and 100s of other general clearing up jobs. We are also working on the surface buildings. Cosy accommodation is provided on site in the Mine managers house. (Only for workers though).

Your experience and money would be welcome to help with the upkeep of this huge slate mine that the 'Friends of Cwmorthin' have officially allowed to maintain and provide access.

To help pay for it all your all invited to buy a calendar! - http://www.aditnow.co.uk/product/UK-Mine-Exploration-Calendar-2008/

Its a nice Calendar and a worth present for anyone, not like that smutty naked caver calendar currently doing the rounds  :chair:

Details
http://www.cwmorthin.co.uk/
http://www.c**tplaces.co.uk/Wikka/Cwmorthin

If your a member of c**tplaces the event is also here - http://www.c**tplaces.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6974

vanoord

c**tplaces said:
Plenty of notice for them ear which like them mines in north wales.

The objective is to finish re timbering the Lake Level entrance and rebuild stairs and 100s of other general clearing up jobs. We are also working on the surface buildings. Cosy accommodation is provided on site in the Mine managers house. (Only for workers though).

Your experience and money would be welcome to help with the upkeep of this huge slate mine that the 'Friends of Cwmorthin' have officially allowed to maintain and provide access.

If anyone is around on Saturday 29th December, there's a working day to dig out part of the smoke flue that has collapsed. All help would be welcomed!

Now then: calendars, as Mr.DP said above!

It's almost the final call for calendars: there's about 12 left and selling quite quickly. All profits go to the Cwmorthin fund, which is currently paying for the retimbering the adit and also covers the cost of the insurance required by the landowner. Quite simply, without Friends of Cwmorthin (which I'm not connected to!), access to Cwmorthin would have been lost a year or so back.

Nobody's asking for a donation - with the calendar you get a year's worth of lovely underground photographs while Cwmorthin gets the money - and you can even pretend that they're pictures of caves rather than the m-things  ::)

You can buy them here: http://www.aditnow.co.uk/product/UK-Mine-Exploration-Calendar-2008/ - there's no need to register on AditNow to buy one and it will be lovingly sent on its way to you by a team of festive elves!

Hatstand

I'm not trying to be "down" on the excellent work that has been going on at Cwmorthin - if I got up Wales more (ironically I am here now!) I would have been along already.

But what exactly is being dug out of smoke flu? Unless it has collapsed further in the last few weeks, it hasn't moved in over 10 years and has some excellent attributes - it looks blocked and is a fab granny trap (no I know we don't get many mining grannies but you know what I mean)

So is it now impassable? If not why disturb it?

Like I said, not trying to be negative, promise!!!  :halo:

nickwilliams

vanoord said:
All profits go to the Cwmorthin fund, which is currently paying for the retimbering the adit and also covers the cost of the insurance required by the landowner.

What does this insurance cover, and how does it differ from the facility provided by BCA which Darkplaces appears to dislike so much?

I'm not trying to start a fight - I genuinely want to know how this differs from the BCA scheme which I am responsible for. If there are lessons to be learned, I want to hear about them.

Nick.

vanoord

Hatstand said:
But what exactly is being dug out of smoke flu? Unless it has collapsed further in the last few weeks, it hasn't moved in over 10 years and has some excellent attributes - it looks blocked and is a fab granny trap (no I know we don't get many mining grannies but you know what I mean)

The thinking is that if the main adit collapses, getting people out may be a problem - consider it similar to wearing a lifejacket in a boat in that it doesn't need to be done, but some day someone may be very grateful it has been done. Indeed, no it doesn't need clearing out, but if ever there is a problem it would make life a lot easier rather than have to dig it out in a hurry.

The aim, incidentally, is to make it more passable rather than to remove all the collapsed material, which is probably about 40-50 tonnes  :eek:

nickwilliams said:
What does this insurance cover, and how does it differ from the facility provided by BCA which Darkplaces appears to dislike so much?

I'm not trying to start a fight - I genuinely want to know how this differs from the BCA scheme which I am responsible for. If there are lessons to be learned, I want to hear about them.

I think this may be opening a can of worms and if you excuse me I'll (mostly) duck the issue! Whatever opinions people may have, sometimes their beliefs have to be suspended in order to allow them to continue doing things they regard as more important than their principals. Such may indeed be the case here ;) The specifics are something for Friends of Cwmorthin - and certainly not for me (as an interested bystander) to air in public.

D

darkplaces

Its site BCA insurance which doesn't need individuals to have insurance, myself and a couple of others are the access officers.

I don't dislike the BCA or its Insurance system, simply people use it as a weapon of keeping others out and don't understand it.

graham

c**tplaces said:
Its site BCA insurance which doesn't need individuals to have insurance, myself and a couple of others are the access officers.

I don't dislike the BCA or its Insurance system, simply people use it as a weapon of keeping others out and don't understand it.

So who uses it as a weapon?  :confused:

Hatstand

vanoord said:
Hatstand said:

The thinking is that if the main adit collapses, getting people out may be a problem - consider it similar to wearing a lifejacket in a boat in that it doesn't need to be done, but some day someone may be very grateful it has been done. Indeed, no it doesn't need clearing out, but if ever there is a problem it would make life a lot easier rather than have to dig it out in a hurry.

The aim, incidentally, is to make it more passable rather than to remove all the collapsed material, which is probably about 40-50 tonnes  :eek:

Hmmm - I'm not convinced - given the route from the head of OV Incline to the collapse I suspect if you ever had to stretcher anyone out (which is the only moment it would be any major obstacle) you would have plenty of time to dig it out a bit. The climb through the chamber would be tricky with a stretcher. And even if you did have to stretcher someone out, I don't think the collapse would form much of a barrier... ...its considerably more spacious than an awful lot of caves (and thats just the very few I have visited in my limited career) its amazing what you can get a stretcher through!!

I really think it serves a better purpose as it is. I know its not really my place to be convinced or not, but I am not just trying to be akward for akwards' sake. If "friends of Cwmorthin" was a proper club you could "join" I would have already - I've been going there for nearly 15 years and member of a club or not do consider myself a "friend" of the place - after all it is where I was introduced to the sport.

:beer:

Les W

graham said:
c**tplaces said:

So who uses it as a weapon?  :confused:

Naughty Graham.  :spank:

D

darkplaces

Me thinks Hatstand is playing with us  :tease:
If "friends of Cwmorthin" was a proper club you could "join" I would have already
No Never! not in a millions years! It was designed from the outset not to be a club, not to run as a club and to basically be club mute/immune/ and other words that describe a non-need in neither a positive or a negative way. You don't need to be in a club to help or access Cwmorthin, we very much want to keep people like you visiting. We only stepped in because the owner was letting the entrance fall in. Its been a difficult journey for us because of our views but we feel we have the right balance and we are an example to others how access can be maintained without funny handshakes  :read:

A requirement we have is to limit accidental access in much the same way as the Box Gate works so the smoke flue needs to be sorted out in such a way as to stop you, you say (to yourself) "I understand the risks and will carry on" and you do what ever is required like the main gate and carry on.

I shall not answer Graham's question and see hes been spanked for it already  :ras:

vanoord

c**tplaces said:
Me thinks Hatstand is playing with us  :tease:

No, that never happens here!  :ras:

A requirement we have is to limit accidental access in much the same way as the Box Gate works so the smoke flue needs to be sorted out in such a way as to stop you, you say (to yourself) "I understand the risks and will carry on" and you do what ever is required like the main gate and carry on.

As I've suggested above, this has been an interesting experience for Darkplaces (the 'collective' rather than the man himself specifically) - it's seen some actions that are the complete opposite to the DP's reputation. It was very heart-warming to see* a dozen people working hard in November to repair the adit - many folks were from the deep south and yet they traveled a long way to sleep rough in sub-zero conditions to work on somewhere they rarely visit. A big slap on the back is deserved all-round  (y)

* I did join in, before anyone asks - I wasn't just watching!

D

darkplaces

After all that I am sorry but we are going to have to cancel the working weekend, sorry.
We hope to reschedule it for sometime in Febuary
Sorry for any disappointment and inconvenience this will cause

graham

c**tplaces said:
After all that I am sorry but we are going to have to cancel the working weekend, sorry.

Insurance fallen through?  :coffee:

W

wormster

graham said:

:spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair:

Gerrrr, we've worked bloody hard to keep this place open so's folk can use it.

Jagman

graham said:
c**tplaces said:

Shame you just cant help being a grade one wanker Graham.
If you were'nt you might actually think of something useful to say occasionally

L

Lincolnshire poacher

Graham and Peter

If you aint got anything useful to say, why dont you bugger off.  I'm sick of people like you slagging off others on here just coz they dont conform to your high expectations/have anything to do with Darkplaces.

:icon_321: :icon_321: :icon_321: :icon_321: :icon_321: :icon_321: :icon_321:

D

darkplaces

graham said:
c**tplaces said:

f*** OFF GRAHAM YOU IDIOT TOSSER.
I will not pussy foot around when you jump on any opportunity to deride something good just because you don't like me and my attitude. Stuff your attitude up your ass and die and leave others alone to get on with it.  ;)

Peter Burgess

Lincolnshire poacher said:
Graham and Peter

If you aint got anything useful to say, why dont you bugger off.  I'm sick of people like you slagging off others on here just coz they dont conform to your high expectations/have anything to do with Darkplaces.

:icon_321: :icon_321: :icon_321: :icon_321: :icon_321: :icon_321: :icon_321:
OK, its alright for one person to use foul language and personal insults, but if I wish to express my opinion on such a person's earlier posts then its me who should be vilified? Well, at least we all know what your position is, even if you and others do choose to hide behind pseudonyms firing off your offensive comments.