DYO: BBC Link

cap n chris

"Two men trapped in cave complex

Two cavers have been cut off by flood waters underground at the Dan-yr-Ogof caves in the Swansea Valley.

The men, who are local, are are in a dry area two miles from the end of the National Showcaves Centre for Wales.

The alarm was raised by security staff at the complex at 2200 GMT on Saturday, after which contact was made with the cavers at 0615 GMT.

Mountain rescue teams said divers will assess the situation but the men are not in any immediate danger.

Brian Jopling from the West Brecon Cave Rescue team which is involved in the rescue operation said the cavers have access to a cache of food which is kept in the caves and are in telephone contact.

'Cold and tired'

Around 15 members of the rescue team are at the caves.

Divers are now in the first of four lakes they need to cross before reaching the men, and Gary Mitchell, from the rescue team, said it was estimated they would reach them in around two hours.

He said the trapped men were both experienced cavers and not in any danger.

"They have been underground now for 30 hours and are cold and tired but otherwise they appear to be OK," Mr Mitchell added.

The cave complex at Dan-yr-Ogof, in the upper Swansea Valley, stretches for more than 10 miles underneath the Brecon Beacons."

From:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/7299288.stm

paulf

I've got a trip on Thursday I was hoping the Weather would have improved by then  :cautious:
I Hope they get out soon  (y)

menacer

We cancelled our trip planned for last Monday in favour of a fab curry from a fine restaurant in Cheddar and a warm dry bed....rather than the humble accomdation and Cuisine provided by the CRO dump.....  :sneaky:

Dont get caught down there Paulf all the food will be gone!!  :ras:

Unlucky guys... thank god for the  cro dump

NigR

paulf said:
No we're already looking at alternatives  :cautious:

Looking at the weather forecast - three dry, sunny days ahead - you should be OK, although some rain is meant to arrive on Thursday itself so best keep an eye on things closer to the time.

Reading the BBC report, I find it hard to accept that two supposedly experienced local cavers, at least one of whom must be a warden for the cave, made an informed decision to visit Dan yr Ogof yesterday. It had rained from early Friday evening well into the night and although it was not raining first thing on Saturday morning the weather forecast was absolutely appalling. No-one could possibly be so stupid as to enter the cave under those circumstances and expect to come out later the same day. If this is what really happened then, at the very least, it brings the criteria for the granting of wardenship into question.

If, on the other hand, you were an experienced local caver who wanted to see what it was like to be stuck beyond the lakes in flood (but not for too long) then it would have been the ideal opportunity.

Peter Burgess

Rather than try to guess what their motives were for going into the cave, I would rather hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. And if they choose not to explain to the wider world, then fair enough - it's none of my business. It would be interesting, however, to see what reaction they might have to NigR's comments.

It's also tempting to speculate that perhaps they listened to someone else's advice regarding the up-coming weather, rather than make their own judgement.

Paul - take note!

paulf

Not only do i watch the local Weather forecast but listen to local Caver's Advise  (y)
I've spent enough Months waiting between DYO trips to know the Bloody Rain always waits for me to come back  :cautious:
There's always April & the rest of the Year  (y)
Cheers Paul

NigR

Peter Burgess said:
Rather than try to guess what their motives were for going into the cave, I would rather hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. And if they choose not to explain to the wider world, then fair enough - it's none of my business. It would be interesting, however, to see what reaction they might have to NigR's comments.

Yes, I await any reaction with interest as well. Having now discovered the identity of one of the cavers involved I am even more astounded than I was before.

Peter Burgess said:
It's also tempting to speculate that perhaps they listened to someone else's advice regarding the up-coming weather, rather than make their own judgement.

By deciding to go into Dan yr Ogof yesterday they clearly demonstrated that their judgement was flawed no matter what they had based it upon.

Just to reiterate, I live 15 miles from Dan yr Ogof and have been visiting the system for 28 years. Based on my experience of the prevailing weather conditions allied to my knowledge of the cave itself there is no way I would have even contemplated going in there yesterday. The cave was going to flood, without a doubt, so don't view the fact they got stuck as just bad luck because it wasn't.

Tony_B

I really must learn not to be so cynical...when my mother-in-law arrived at my house from Wales this eve and announced that two cavers were trapped in DYO my immediate response was: "of course they are, it's the week before Easter and there is always a DYO story this week..."

Apologies to any WBCRT team members who were called out.
Tony. 

Peter Burgess

Tony_B said:
I really must learn not to be so cynical...when my mother-in-law arrived at my house from Wales this eve and announced that two cavers were trapped in DYO my immediate response was: "of course they are, it's the week before Easter and there is always a DYO story this week..."

Apologies to any WBCRT team members who were called out.
Tony. 
Funnily enough, you are not the first person to point this out.  ::)

busty_caver

Yes, I await any reaction with interest as well. Having now discovered the identity of one of the cavers involved I am even more astounded than I was before.

I know both identities and was a little suprised when i had a call to tell me but then it proves that these things can happen to even the most experiences and hardened cavers!  I'm just pleased they are both out ok although I bet they are not too happy having spent the whole weekend in a flooded cave!

Rob

busty_caver said:
I bet they are not too happy having spent the whole weekend in a flooded cave!

Depends how much cave they found while they were in there...  ;)

Jopo

From Tony B
"of course they are, it's the week before Easter and there is always a DYO story this week..."
From P Burgess
Funnily enough, you are not the first person to point this out.

I am saying nothing else on this forum about the incident other than to point out that, having being somewhat involved, I can say without equivocation that Ashford was genuinely extremely concerned about BAD publicity for the show cave and as equally concerned about the condition of the two trapped cavers.
I have known Ashford for nearly 40 years and am well aware that he likes a good story before opening but he would never stoop to this anymore than the two guys would agree to cooperate.

It's a bit different to the cat down a dinosaurs throat.

Jopo

NigR

Jopo said:
I have known Ashford for nearly 40 years and am well aware that he likes a good story before opening but he would never stoop to this anymore than the two guys would agree to cooperate.

On the one hand, it is good to hear this.

On the other, it makes the actions of two such experienced cavers even less comprehensible.

Certainly, in my opinion, it makes a complete mockery of the current access arrangements for the cave. Precisely what level of incompetency is a leader (warden) going to be allowed to demonstrate whilst retaining their position?

Peter Burgess

Jopo said:
From Tony B
"of course they are, it's the week before Easter and there is always a DYO story this week..."
From P Burgess
Funnily enough, you are not the first person to point this out.

I am saying nothing else on this forum about the incident other than to point out that, having being somewhat involved, I can say without equivocation that Ashford was genuinely extremely concerned about BAD publicity for the show cave and as equally concerned about the condition of the two trapped cavers.

It's a bit different to the cat down a dinosaurs throat.

Jopo

I didn't actually express my opinion on this, in case you thought I was. I merely pointed out that the idea was brought to my attention by someone else. I also don't really believe that anyone would stoop so low as to set up a stunt like this. It just makes no sense for that to be the case. The risk of being caught out alone would be enough to put any sane person off the idea. No, I am genuinely pleased that all has turned out OK, and if the publicity brings in a few more punters next weekend, then that's just a fortunate bonus.