Milwr Tunnel, Flintshire

N

Noodles

Some time ago on this forum, someone made the statement that a through trip is an option, exiting at the portal at Bagillt. Please note that NO through trips can now be attempted for one simple reason:
There has been a serious collapse in the tunnel just a few hundred yards upstream of Herward Shaft. The last through-trip (as far as I know) was completed around 6 years ago. On this trip as the team approached the collapse, the water level continued to become higher. At the collapse there was only a foot of airspace. The team were lucky to get through.
The condition of the roof at the fall suggested further falls from above would have been likely. If the water level has now risen by 12" the fall would be impassible.
In this case any team finding their way out blocked would be doomed. It would be difficult to travel back upstream against the strong current for very far and certainly impossible to reach dry land at Pen-y-Bryn Shaft some three miles upstream. 
Just thought you should know.
Noodles

N

Noodles

Hi Dunc,

Correct. Part of the initial Hyder agreement stated that there was no 'caver' access along the Tunnel north of Pen-y-Bryn Shaft.
However, the trip six (?) years ago was done with the full prior agreement of the owners as a one-off.
By the accounts of those on the trip, it sounds like they aren't likely to repeat it in a hurry!

Noodles

shotlighter

Noodles said:
Hi Dunc,

Correct. Part of the initial Hyder agreement stated that there was no 'caver' access along the Tunnel north of Pen-y-Bryn Shaft.
However, the trip six (?) years ago was done with the full prior agreement of the owners as a one-off.
By the accounts of those on the trip, it sounds like they aren't likely to repeat it in a hurry!

Noodles
That can't have been that long after AMC re-opened Herward Shaft for Hyder to do tunnel maintainance - seems they missed a bit!

RobinGriffiths

There's a good account of a through trip by lilo in the introduction to one of the editions of Tony Oldham's Caves of North Wales. I guess it took place about 15 years ago.

N

Noodles

Yes Rob, I've also seen that report. But it's hard to say with Mr Oldhams accounts whether it's true or fictitious.
I've also recently seen another North Wales cave book at http://stores.lulu.com/crisebbs
A mate tells me it's much more reliable and by the same bloke who wrote The Milwr Tunnel, but can't confirm that myself.
I must admit that a through-trip on a lilo would have been great fun. Pity it's now too late.

Noodles

rhychydwr1

RobinGriffiths said:
There's a good account of a through trip by lilo in the introduction to one of the editions of Tony Oldham's Caves of North Wales. I guess it took place about 15 years ago.

More like 33 years ago.  About that time there were quite a few pirate trips.  One was written up in the SWCC N/L

Ian Adams

Noodles,

The book you refer to on the Milwr Tunnel is written by Cris Ebbs who has a number of books in print and is a long standing member of the Grosvenor Caving Club who have the access rights to the tunnel.

I know the club have been in and out of the tunnel working on various aspects of it for over 40 years and I am fairly sure they are down there pretty much every weekend even now.

I haven't got a copy of the book your link points too (I am pretty sure it is a very new release) and I don't know what he says in it .....but..... you can bet whatever he says in there is as accurate as a dart in the centre of a bullseye  ;)

Regards,

Ian

rhychydwr1

The other tunnel is the Milwr [pron Millor] or Sea Level Tunnel.  This was started in 1897 at sea level near Bagillt NGR SJ 213 760  by 1958 it had reached Cathole Vein NGR SJ 205627 at Loggerheads some 10 miles from its portals and c 40 feet above sea level.

Mike Collins describes a recent visit. 
"There are numerous shafts and workings which connect with the Milwr Tunnel.  The one I chose was the Olwyn Goch Shaft at Rhydymwyn NGR SJ 210 670.  The shaft is 465 feet deep but a level, entered via some mine buildings reduces this to 400 feet.  The shaft contains two cages and a series of 22 ladders leading down to the Milwr Tunnel.  This is 10 feet across 8 feet high and with two sets of railway lines and a train'  There was a foot of water covering the track which made it slow going.  I later discovered that there is a drainage trench c 2 x 2 feet to one side of the tunnel.  It is usually capped, I only discovered that some parts are uncapped when I inadvertently stepped into it.  After c 1000 yards Powell's Lode was reached.  This was once a rich vein yielding over 50,000 tons of lead but all that is left is a natural chamber.  Continuing through deeper water the Pen-y-Bryn shaft was reached.  This is offset to the level by some 20 yards.  It was capped c 1960 and is 800 feet deep, it is in poor condition.  After 2 miles the railway track ended.  This is the point where I nearly gave up.  Before me was a water filled tunnel, as far as my lights would shine.  But I got out my Lilo and started paddling.  Not that I needed much effort, the current was taking me along at a grand pace.  My only fear was what if I had to return?  The current was clearly too strong to wade against it.  Soon I heard a noise which filled me full of dread.  It was the sound of a waterfall.  I now felt very foolish and frightened.  This looked like my last caving trip.  As I rounded the bend my fears were allayed.  It was more a series of rapids than a waterfall so I just let the current take me and hoped that I would not rip the Lilo on a sharp rock.

The next fright came when I thought I could smell gas, just as if I was going past a gas works.  Fortunately I had left my carbide lamp at home.  After countless rapids the tunnel changed and became 8 foot wide and started to zig-zag erratically.  The gradient steepened and I was now out of control.  Side tunnels flashed by and the cross flow nearly had me off a couple of times.  It was getting colder and the air seemed fresher and I could hear the sounds of traffic.  I had made it, six and a half miles in 3 hours - what a trip.

I have been back a many times since then.  I did a through trip by entering via some old workings from the quarry at Hendre NGR SJ 195 680  I made a special visit to Powell's Lode to see the 'Bottomless Lake', discovered in 1920?  By 1942 70,000 tons of debris had been tipper into it and it was still 'bottomless'.  Alas an enormous collapse barred my way.  I also climbed up into the Halkyn Deep Level and more by accident than design found myself back at the Olwyn Goch Shaft at the 270 foot level.  Here I found out where they stored explosives during world war two.  Other trips were spent exploring the upstream end of the Milwr Tunnel.  There are so many cross cuts and natural cavities that I lost count.  At one point I climbed 150 feet up some old ladders until my nerve failed.  I also  explored the Cathole workings in the hope that I could get into Ogof Hesp Alyn by the back door, or if that failed pull the plug to leave the cave high and dry."

I did a through trip by entering via some old workings from the quarry at Hendre NGR SJ 195 680 

Is it still possible to accss through the workings at Hendre Quarry rather than just the Olwyn Goch Shaft ?

dl

My understanding is that these workings were blasted closed when the quarry ceased operations.

N

Noodles

There is now no way in via Hendre Quarry.
The quarry is still working and has an expected life of another 25 years.
This route was lost a few years ago to quarrying. Even if it was still open, the whole area surrounding the quarry has suffered from fairly bad blasting damage. I hear that GCC members exploring towards this area from the Olwyn Goch end, now stop well short of the quarry 'cos of the crap roof and ground movement.

It should be noted that Rhychydwr's quote above staes it refers to "a RECENT visit" through-trip. Perhaps it would have been wise to re-state that the trip mentioned was 33 years ago. As already mentioned in the first post of this thread, no-one should attempt a Milwr Tunnel through-trip .......... unless they want to be buried at sea!

Noodles