Britain's longest sea cave.

alasdair neill

Currently this is quoted as Holl o Boadie on Papa Stour, Shetland, quoted as 300m or 400m long, the length probably originating from the 1878 6" OS map which shows a length of about 990 feet so 300m is likely to be correct. This has been copied onto even the most recent OS maps. A post on the web (which I have been unable to relocate unfortunately) states the OS mislocated one of the entrances so the length between entrances may be too long.
A list of the Worlds longest sea caves,
http://www.caverbob.com/seacave.html
gives Holl o Boadie as the 8th longest sea cave in the world.
Recently partly surveyed a cave in Cornwall with over 200m done so far and an estimated 100m left to do, which could prove to be the longest surveyed sea cave in Britain when this is complete (next weekend?).

mrodoc

I have read the article on the NZ caves. These run parallel to the cliffs and are enlarged on cross joints. Whereabouts is this Cornish cave - north or south?

Alex

When we say sea caves are these submerged caves, or caves in the cliff face above the water line?

alasdair neill

On north coast of Cornwall.
This cave can be explored with just some pools where you get wet feet at low water springs, and the entrances can be reached dry, but at other stages of the tide floods and can probably be swum or kayaked through but would be lethal in a big swell. Passages up to 20mx20m ish.

graham

Mr O'Doc: aren't there karst springs near Brixham, a bit like the Doolin Green Holes?

How long are they?

alasdair neill

Found more stuff on Papa Stour caves, for anyone interested:
Scottish Natural Heritage Commissioned Report 102 Site Condition Monitoring Surveys..of Papa Stour cSAC (2003) which includes surveys of the caves. Available online.

mrodoc

graham said:
Mr O'Doc: aren't there karst springs near Brixham, a bit like the Doolin Green Holes?

How long are they?

Nothing found there yet except short tubes. The rumours of a blue hole at Plymouth reported 30 years ago were greatly exagerrated!

alasdair neill

Survey yesterday showed a length of about 380m with a big opening up to the right of the western entrance which we didn't go into. Locally called the Hall and Parlour, a name referred to by Tonkin c. 1710, which seems to refer just to the two largest entrances at the eastern end of the cave. There may be a longer cave in the area which is much more difficult of access, I only did a brief visit many years ago by boat.

NigelF

Do you have any more info about this sea-cave ?
I note that, re Hol o' Boadie, the E most 100m were surveyed in that SNH report. From aerial for the W end, and old OS for the easting of the bend, plus direction of the E part from the SNH report, I reckon it is about 350m long.
I have recently surveyed Trough Cove at 315m total tunnel length which is under the cliffs of Fowlsheugh, a little south of Stonehaven.

mikem

Hol o' Bordie down in 15th place (updated list a year after the original post here), whilst it should be 14th:
http://registry.gsg.org.uk/sr/sitedetails.php?id=2645

Luna: https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=16174.0