Bangor

ODonopoo

Hi all, any former Bangor students or knowledgeable locals know the closest/most accessible caving to Bangor University? Ideally something relatively easy as I have a couple of friends who are interested in giving it a go
Cheers

RobinGriffiths

Caving - Poachers. Will keep you occupied for an hour or two.
Mine-wise - lot's more options. Bwlch-y-plwm, Cae Coch Sulphur Mine, Cwmorthin or Rhosydd being initial suggestions. Also, you could get in touch with Parys Underground Group or Great Orme Exploration Society.

If you want to go to Clwyd, or whatever it is these days, Denbigh, or Flint, or Wrexham, or Maelor, then contact UCET.

Robin

tamarmole

Lots of mine action in your part of the world.  It might be worth checking out Aditnow if you are interested in mine exploration.  The Aditnow "Thursday nighters" are very active in N.Wales and, as the name suggests, are out on Thursday nights.  There is a regular Thursday nighters thread on the AN forum.

alastairgott

RobinGriffiths said:
Caving - Poachers. Will keep you occupied for an hour or two.
If you want to go to Clwyd, or whatever it is these days, Denbigh, or Flint, or Wrexham, or Maelor, then contact UCET.

Poacher's is near Wrexham but not locked, so more than 30mins away from Bangor, probably more like an hour plus.

This website might help
https://sites.google.com/site/cavesofnorthwales/
particularly this one for poachers itself, https://sites.google.com/site/cavesofnorthwales/08-caves-p---s

if you want a hand, let me know, as I've got someone I need to see in North Wales and have not been down Poachers yet.

The Cave and Crag club may be a good place to start if you want to do mines near Bangor. The cavers I've met are a lovely bunch.

AnthonyB

Hi, A Bangor graduate here. Now that is out the way.

Assuming transport is not an issue your welcome to join us (UCET) on our thursday night trips. around the caves and mines of North East Wales. However if transport is an issue you may be better off exploring the mines in North West Wales with Aditnow. 

Minion

I?ve been meaning to start a similar thread.

I?ve been working a lot recently in North Wales, from Wrexham across to Bangor and Anglesey.

I?d be up for joining a few trips when I?m next up North.

I?m up the 29th Oct till 1 Nov

cavemanmike

We(ucet) are out every Thursday night .
Take you anywhere you care to go (in north wales)
Pm me if you like 👍

Minion

I'll keep that in Mind, Mike!

Where about are you based?

Looks like I'll need to wangle a few Thursdays up North into my work schedule  :beer:

cavemanmike

based in the holywell area so playing ground is poachers, oha,nadolig. milwr tunnel and all the associated mines in the locality

ChrisJC

As an ex Bangor Uni CC member, I can tell you that for caving, we used to go to Poachers and Hesp Alyn.
But predominantly we used to go mine exploring. The two big areas were the Gwydyr Forest and Blaenau Ffestiniog. Favourite mines were Rhosydd, Cwmorthin (both Blaenau), and Parc Mine (Gwydyr). There is an access arrangement for Parc
http://rakelane.anduin.org.uk/cal/parcmine.html
Cwmorthin is controlled by Go Below, they will loan you a key if you ask nicely - you don't have to go on a paid trip. They have got a partial survey somewhere available for ad-hoc explorers.

Chris.

robjones

ChrisJC said:
They have got a partial survey somewhere available for ad-hoc explorers.

Very likely the University library will have this book: G.Isherwood "Cwmorthin Slate Quarry", 1st ed, Dolgellau 1982; 2nd ed, Mold, 1995, which contains detailed surveys.