Throw out paper maps?

Alkapton

Just been fiddling with an app on me phone and realised why folks rate it so high.  orux maps runs on android, ms, linux and mac.  Like google earth or gps essetials but unlike others...  Huge choice of maps from google satellite etc to the standard maps of countries.  For uk it is of course OS maps!  Also you can save the maps to use off line in a variety of resolutions.  So download maps from pc, transfer to phone and never buy another map!

Roger W

Very useful for when you are travelling, and it's probably easier to check the map on your smartphone screen than to struggle with an unfolded OS sheet in a howling gale on top of Bleaklow.

But what about the pleasure you can get from poring over a spread-out OS map, following the course of a river, say, from one side of the sheet to the other or making one's way - in the spirit, as it were - from Sykeside near Brothers Water up Dovedale to Hart Crag and Fairfield, then following the high ground up past Dollywaggon Pike and Helvellyn to Great Dodd and Clough Head before making your way down to Threlkeld with its enticing beer-mug symbol..?  There's a great deal of enjoyment to be had from the old-fashioned paper maps - let's not write them off just yet!

mikem

Plus the difficulty of recharging mobile phone / GPS out on the hill, those apps use a lot of power...

Mike

SamT

Another point - which I find hard to easily express is this...

I use Memory Map with 1:25000 OS maps of the UK. Great.  But if I zoom out - even on the pc screen - the resolution disappears once the map covers more that about 3 miles across and it becomes unreadable.  Much worse on a small phone screen.  So for planning long round walks - or understanding the topography of a large areas and the inter relationship between valleys/cols etc etc - its useless.

Otherwise - looks like a good phone app

BTW - what OS maps can you use - are they free??

SamT

Yes - I dont think the batteries have ever run out on my paper map.

(also - screens can be frustratingly hard to see on a bright day)

dunc

Both have their uses I guess. I'll mostly stick to paper though (or the laminated versions)

Ian Adams

Roger W said:
... But what about the pleasure you can get from poring over a spread-out OS map ...

I totally agree  :)

Nothing better than "studying" a good map for anything and everything of interest. Nothing better than plotting a route for walk or scramble, and what's wrong with pulling out a map that flaps about in a gale at the top of a mountain ?  It's all an 00bersome experience  ;)

Long live paper maps

(y)

Ian

paul

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/09/02/rescuers-warned-after-coast-to-coast-group-rescued-twice-in-two-days.

Just one of a plethora of recent resues involving individuals attempting to navigate with a mobile phone alone.

Dedicated GPS recievers and those which also include online maps are far superior to any mobile phone regardless of the app. For a starte they have a much better battery life and  better sensitivity.

Even so, as usefule as GPS recivers are as a navigation tool, you still need to have a map and compass and know how to use them for when the GPS receiver lets you down.

Alkapton

The OS maps call themselves OS SM, look very like pathfinder to me.  Scaleing is not a problem either, there are about 5 sets of tiles at different resoluions.  At highest res all the writing is on the map, as you zoom out each tile set has less labeling/words.  And yes all maps are free.

Battery...  what takes the battery is gps, so off line maps gives you more time.  There are wind up tortches that charge phones...  good in an emergancy.

Alex

Considering our performance of "Whacky racers" round north wales using various GPSs and other devices, I think maps still have a very important role to play, as we only found what we were looking for once someone pulled a paper map out.

(No I was not navigating)

zaphod79

A money saving option if you already have memory map, download mmtracker free on android.  You can then use you memory map maps on phone

jonnyrocketboots

Hang onto them 1 in 25's!! Specially the laminated ones as can sit on them and keep your arse warm and dry on a brew stop!  Priceless!!

global_s

Alkapton said:
The OS maps call themselves OS SM, look very like pathfinder to me.  Scaleing is not a problem either, there are about 5 sets of tiles at different resoluions.  At highest res all the writing is on the map, as you zoom out each tile set has less labeling/words.  And yes all maps are free.

Battery...  what takes the battery is gps, so off line maps gives you more time.  There are wind up tortches that charge phones...  good in an emergancy.

Which is the app is that? I used to use Memory Map when I had windows mobile, but can't transfer my map collection over to Android.

Alkapton

have orux maps on pc and android
get maps on pc calling map a name
go into ../oruxmaps/maps and copy directory of your name to same place on android

And

I use the Maverick app that caches OS maps so you can use them off line. You don't need a PC to download the maps, just browse around the area on the map at home before you head out.

Can paper maps make a phone call, surf the net, or turn pictures of your friends into zombies?  ;)

global_s

Alkapton said:
have orux maps on pc and android
get maps on pc calling map a name
go into ../oruxmaps/maps and copy directory of your name to same place on android

Aye, but where do you get the maps in the first place. Can I convert the many many gigs of memory map files I already have?

Alkapton

In desktop version of orux (java app) select os sm as the map layer you want...  no need to convert it all free;-)