Yorkshire visit advice

Trig Gledhill

Good evening fine people of the Yorkshire clubs,

A couple of us will be travelling up North soon from South Wales to visit Yorkshire and it's caves. I've been before trips including Goydens, Mongos, Long Churns to Alum, Dowker, Sell Gill and County to Wretched but not done any of the proper caving there.

What would you guys recommend for us?

Obviously we don't get to practice SRT much down in our stomping ground but it is something we will have to polish up before visiting.

Friday suggestions please guys [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ian Ball

Friday night cave, Dismal Hill to Old Ing through trip.  Easy to find, not far from where you park, really varied in a short time, very wet though so if you want to get an early start the day after a spare undersuit layer is worth considering.

If you need a Friday night srt refresher, probably easiest to book the training facility at the YSS bunkhouse, though just two of you is probably a little dull.  Perhaps a trip to

Big Saturday trips depending on the weather but Black Shiver Pot is great and maybe rather novel as its so vertical, Washfold Pot in Selside is smaller undertaking, Vesper Pot in East Kingsdale too.

You can see rigging guides and descriptions on the CNCC website to give you ideas.

Simon Wilson

Trig Gledhill said:
... to visit Yorkshire and it's caves. ...and County to Wretched...

What would you guys recommend for us?

Obviously we don't get to practice SRT much down in our stomping ground but it is something we will have to polish up before visiting.

County Pot is in Lancashire.

Ian Ball said:
Big Saturday trips depending on the weather but Black Shiver Pot is great and maybe rather novel as its so vertical, Washfold Pot in Selside is smaller undertaking, Vesper Pot in East Kingsdale too.

Those are all a bit serious for cavers not up to speed with SRT. You could try some vertical caves that are less serious such as Hardrawkin, Tatham Wife, Sunset, Heron which would be OK on Saturday but avoid on Sunday when rain is forecast. Drier potholes are Bar Pot, Deaths Head, Bull Pot K, the upper parts of Notts.

droid

Yep. Tatham Wife is an excellent trip. There's also Simpsons or Swinsto pull through.

Ireby Fell also worth it.

Trig Gledhill

droid said:
Yep. Tatham Wife is an excellent trip. There's also Simpsons or Swinsto pull through.

Ireby Fell also worth it.
I do fancy Simpson's [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mudman

Swinsto pull through is a brilliant trip.
I also need to revisit Ireby and experience it without pain.  :cry: