Swildon's Hole Survey

And

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a colour copy of the Swildon's survey, like the one in the changing barn? I think that had some pics on it too. I have a copy of the survey I got with the book, but I'd like a fancy one to put on the wall!

Amy

Seriously? I have a spot I could put that up (I turned my hallway into a "cave"...bats hanging around, cave photos...) I'll have to remember to get one next time I'm there. :) If it's the one I"m thinking about it's pretty cool!

Elaine

Yes, ours is hanging up on the wall too. But it is quite big, and a challenge for you to get it back to America without ruining it!

mrodoc

I might as well blow my own trumpet. I did a version some years ago by using photos I had taken then cut out and pasted onto the old survey. I gave Brian Prewer a selection of my  photos, he did the same only more neatly and after that things took off when others saw the survey. It has been done before and I have done it for a small find we made in Devon turning it into a poster with photos, a description of the cave's history and the diggers involved.  It is not difficult to do but finding space to put up the end result is!

Amy

Elaine said:
Yes, ours is hanging up on the wall too. But it is quite big, and a challenge for you to get it back to America without ruining it!
Couldn't it just be rolled up and put in a poster tube?

n?π

Amy said:
Elaine said:
Couldn't it just be rolled up and put in a poster tube?

I can't see why not unless they're printed on something that won't roll. If I remember rightly the SWCC are selling the OFD survey (5x A2 paper sheets) for ?5. Postage to the states shouldn't be too bad either if you wanted them before you vist. (I recently ordered some posters form the states, I'm assuming posting one direction is about the same as posting the other).

***top tip for carrying posters***
If you buy two poster tubes slit one down its length, slide it over the other, then tape it in place it makes it really quite solid and you can just strap it to the side of your rucksack. Ive taken quite a few posters on packed trains the way. May want to make it 3 layers for air travel tho  :-S.

Amy

The poster tubes at the USPS office here are pretty durable. :) OFD would be a sweet one to have too. And GB. Just for the heckuvit.  ;)

Les W

Surely the attempts to follow the Passchendaele stream are digs attempting to access those two caves?

caving_fox

If I remember rightly the SWCC are selling the OFD survey (5x A2 paper sheets) for ?5. Postage to the states shouldn't be too bad either

When I checked late last year SWCC wern't posting the surveys. Collect from the hut only. Maybe if you plead extra nicely they might take pity on you. Maybe someone form the SWCC can comment if I'm mistaken.

mrodoc

I know that in the last 10 years Phil Short was working up the upstream side of the Somme(P). The water here comes from Sludge Pit Hole - a nice cave and well worth reopening when it is permitted. The final choked sump looked like a good if long term dig.

andrew

The GB/Charterhouse survey is available here

http://www.ubss.org.uk/cave_survey_archive.php

And if for simplicity it can the direct link is

http://www.ubss.org.uk/resources/surveys/survex/Charterhouse_GB_systemA0.pdf

It is released under CC BY NC SA so basically printing it for the wall is fine. It is designed for A0 width (needs a continuous role printer) but A1 is fine, I suspect it will work on US sizes as well.
Individual prints are not cheap but possibly cheaper than postage to the states, it is intended to do a print run, so as to make it available cheaper to cavers at large. This will have to wait for the discoveries dry up, assuming the clubs involved are willing to take the financial risk, which seems less and less likely these days as print on demand gets cheaper and cheaper

robjones

You're in university aren't you Amy? Ask the cartographic staff in the geography and geology depts if they have a large enough printer; if they don't, they'll cerrtainly know which departments do, and where there will be a commercial copying company in the city that prints plans for engineers, architects, etc.

The European series of paper sizes (A0, A1, A2 etc, and similar B and C series - look up paper sizes on Wikipedia) is reasonably well known in the USA and even if writing paper is very hard to find in non-US sizes, the larger A series sizes are better known. If you look in the paper trays in a Xerox machine, you'll see that even US machines arre set up for A3 and A4.

The most robust way to transport rolled plans is in a c.3 inch diameter plastic drainpipe - any big hardware store like Home Depot will sell you a single length. Screw-on plastic end caps are the finishing touch if you need to carry plans around a lot.

And

Thanks for the reply Les and Ali M. There is a copy of it making its way to me via caver post (I think it will be in a tube!). As an ex-pat Mendip caver it'll be a nice reminder of the Mendips on my wall.  :)