G.B. Cave Great Chamber

AberSteve

Just wondering if anyone can describe the route up in to Great Chamber that avoids the sketchy climb?
Someone said it was above the last 'squeeze' from helictite chamber, but there are some nice looking formations there that I don't really want to touch just searching for this.

graham

Go through the choke to the last turn down towards Bat Passage, but don't take that. Back about six feet. Take an ascending route upwards to the left  up a longish pointed rock, go left around a smallish chamber in the rocks & keep an eye out for a horizontal letter box slot that'll appear upslope. Go through that & you are laughing.

tim.rose2

As Burt and Graham have said, just after the dodgy climb is a less dodgy one.  Go up about 5m through the bouldered and you'll find the long pointed rock (probably 6ft long, arrow head shaped) which Graham mentioned.  This is the key marker!  The head of the arrow points in the direction of the way on, where you'll find a slot above your head which looks really tight and very unlikely!  This is it.  Poke your head up through and you're in the bottom corner of great chamber.  Enjoy - its well worth getting up there.  Less experienced climbers might appreciate a handline up the initial climb if they've not done it before (can be tied to the arrow head boulder). 

mrodoc

Just for the record I have been into Great Chamber by the 3 routes and Graham's is the easiest and, if you are facing upslope is the furthest to the right. I originally used to do the dodgy climb where you enter but I think boulders may have moved since the 70's. I then got taken on a route that is extremely tight and comes out by the separated column whilst the last one can be done by anybody.  Well worth a visit. Now- how do you find Disappointment Chamber Graham?

graham

mrodoc said:
but I think boulders may have moved since the 70's

They have.

mrodoc said:
Now- how do you find Disappointment Chamber Graham?

That is a secret that I cannot and will not divulge.

I've only actually been there about twice.