Reav-ing the rewards in Giants

alastairgott

I had an email from Mr Eavis ?do you want to survey to St Valentines? he said.

I replied yes, but Friday would be better, so I arrived complete with a bout of summer manflu contracted from SUSS or others the weekend before (apparently everyone had it, who even gets a cold in summer?).

Sometime after 7pm, we descended the hole and made good progress to the section of cave just after the Eating House with the handline above which gains Maggins rift. Emphatically not the Eating House our guide told me. The amount of geological information he imparted on this trip was more than I had ever learnt about Giants, even though they were two key things.

Shortly after, we got the Disto and this new-fangled thing called an android out. I started by spotting the survey points, but quickly given Topodroid to play with. I think the Litton-Tideswell lot have been plotting to introduce me to this, conspiracy!

A short survey later and we were through the puddle and along a passage to the concrete dam and other piping equipment that was once used to drain St Valentines. Survey complete, we retreated to the bags, and Rob declared we hadn?t finished.

Bags collected, we made our way along some traverses to a section above *a drop*. Passing under a point where Moose had previously been smashing a great big hammer above his head with his feet on the roof! Suffice to say, I think I was glad he wasn?t doing this when I passed underneath, Apparently rock in his face isn?t a problem.

Through an arch at the top, and Rob was kind and told me not to stand where he could throw rocks at me. Rob?s super lightweight drill soon had two holes for bolts drilled at the top and he could throw a rope down for us to follow.

At the top, there was a calcite flow which Rob told me to climb onto, the formations up there were pristine white. Soon Harley Dave was up, and re-rigging the rope with a rethreaded butterfly. After some clattering of rocks, Rob returned from whatever he had been furtling at and declared that a smoke bomb could be deployed. Up it went and I retreated down the rope before my cough was made any worse.

Soon after we were on the way out, and I am firmly of the opinion that if anyone?s going to find anything in Giants in the next year, it?ll probably be Rob.

The research and Tenacity has gone in, good luck Rob.

By the way, what was the really small drill you were using?

Rob

Glad to have you with us Alastair. It's partly your fault we started looking there....  (y)

alastairgott said:
...By the way, what was the really small drill you were using?
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=12185.msg281707#msg281707

Rob

alastairgott said:
....I am firmly of the opinion that if anyone?s going to find anything in Giants in the next year, it?ll probably be Rob....

[teaser]
You were right  ;)
[/teaser]

alastairgott

Didn't have chance to have a look on Sunday on a club trip, but will do. I'll have to make do with looking at the 3d file when I get back from work. :D :D