Beginner wondering about Dorset

gaadaclark

Hi everyone,

I was introduced to caving last year and visited the bottom of the spectacular Shute Shelve, Goatchurch Cavern, and Swildons Hole. I was half-expecting to hate it, but the opposite occurred and so here I am.

My brother is a sailor based in Bournemouth, and I want to tempt him underground as he's never been. I realise this is some way off the UK caving 'hotspots' but wondered whether any of you might know of any treasures hiding under the Jurassic coast of Dorset?

If you could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated!

mikem

A lot of things have been filled in or quarried away, but put this grid ref into Location - SY 68993 71769
http://www.mcra.org.uk/registry/registrysearch.php

Mike

Les W

Hi gaadaclark
As Mike said above, a lot of things have been quarried away or filled on Portland but there are 2 or 3 caves of significance worth a visit.
You should be aware that the caves on Portland are mainly Guls (tectonic slip rift caves) although there are some Phreatic remnants as well.

The easiest to access are the Grove Caves that are just below the Young Offenders Institution.
You can park in a layby above the cliff and if you head back past the vent tower you can hop over the wall there and follow the path down, there are several entrances above you to your right and they all interconnect.

Other sights worthy of a vist are:
Blacknor Hole (Requires SRT)
Sandy Hole (awkward climb to the entrance, connects to Blacknor Hole via a few squeezes)
Steve's Endeavour (Awkward exposed climb)

There are also underground stone quarries along the cliffs from Swanage to St Aldheims Head, though nothing too extensive.

There is (was) a guidebook but it is out of date and out of print and although an update is in progress, it won't be available any time soon.