Dales water levels

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
An incredible amount of water in the Dales today.
Hull pot has filled up.
The speed of the Ribble rising is impressive.
Between 7,00am and 8.00am Saturday morning sees the majority of the rise.

https://webcam.io/webcams/zKaEg9#

paul

And: Floods hit Yorkshire Three Peaks route as rescuers warn: don't attempt challenge

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2019/03/16/floods-hit-yorkshire-three-peaks-route-as-rescuers-warn-dont-attempt-challenge

1m rise in 12 hours at Locks Wier. I drove up to Gisburn Forest this morning for a bike ride at 8.30 and the river was lower than it was on Tuesday night at Long Preston.
When I came back at 11.00 it was bursting its banks. Surface streams running across fields everywhere and the roads had deep foods in places. One section of road near Wigglesworth was running with water a couple of inches deep across its full width for a few hundred metres.

If I had had some walking gear with me I would have loved to go check out some cave entrances!

JasonC

Not quite as impressive as Hull Pot filling, but this was the lower entrance of Yordas yesterday, about 1pm.
We thought of walking up Turbary Road to have a look at Rowten, but gave up as it was so unpleasant in the full force of the gale on the tops.

Attachments

• Yordas_sm16032019.jpg
    Yordas_sm16032019.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 189

Pitlamp

They had to close the Watershed Mill sales outlet near Settle yesterday afternoon as the Ribble was coming over the wall. The staff were trying to get stock up off the floor.
Both Hurtle Pot and Jingle Pot in Chapel-le-Dale were resurging well.
It was much wetter though in December 2015 (Storms Desmond & Eva, which got the water feature at Malham Cove going).

Ian Ball

The high water back then did a fair bit of damage in notts2, I hope the repairs have held.

The Ribble rising so fast is not uncommon, but the height is.  The hydroplant at Settle should get good numbers this month!  It was up to its 20th best month generation on Friday.

Edit: Flood debris has obscured the water flowing to the plant so generation has been lower than it could have been.  Volunteers welcomed to help clear the debris  (y)
Possibly highest recorded value for depth of the Ribble at the Settle weir, suggests a very wet day or few days along the Ribble valley?
Visbot reading at:
Clapham, 40mm
Helwith Bridge, 60mm

Trogger

Was intrigued by Ian P's comment that "Hull Pot has filled up".  Has anyone ever seen it full up and maybe spilling over the top? Most I've ever seen is the whole of the floor covered 24/12/1983 (pic attached if it works). There's a photo on the wall in Horton caf? showing water up to the overhang below the top in 1992, describing it as a 'once in a blue moon occurrence'. Wonder whether it happened when Malham Cove was a waterfall a few years back? Has anyone any pics of Hull Pot full up?

Attachments

• Hull Pot in flood 241283.jpg
    Hull Pot in flood 241283.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2,174

langcliffe

Trogger said:
Was intrigued by Ian P's comment that "Hull Pot has filled up".  Has anyone ever seen it full up and maybe spilling over the top?

It filled up yesterday - there's a picture on Facebook, but it's not mine to distribute.

Pitlamp

There's a graphic description - but no photo - in the Hull Pot chapter in the "Adventures Underground" book.

mikem

Although the river gauges near Settle show Saturday levels around the highest recorded, those from Long Preston downstream are nowhere near. Unfortunately the long term data isn't directly comparable, as it's in cumecs, but there were 3 very high peaks in Nov & Dec 2O15 (when malham was a waterfall):
https://nrfa.ceh.ac.uk/data/station/meanflow/71011

Mike

mikem

Interesting that the Peak floods were a couple of days before, whilst north Wales was (less surprisingly) also Saturday.

6th Dec 2O15 was the highest recorded level of the Ribble:
https://nrfa.ceh.ac.uk/data/station/peakflow/71011

Thread from back then, inc. pic of Hull Pot (not necessarily at its maximum):
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=19458.25

mikem

Dec 1983 (pic above, floor covered) was 16th highest year of Ribble records & Dec 1992 (pic in Inglesport, almost filled, shown in older thread) was only 4Oth - those readings were from days before the photos...

Pitlamp said:
There's a graphic description - but no photo - in the Hull Pot chapter in the "Adventures Underground" book.

The description was not what either of the authors personally saw but was sourced from a local farmer who only saw it once in his lifetime.

Pitlamp

KristianBrook said:
Pitlamp said:

The description was not what either of the authors personally saw but was sourced from a local farmer who only saw it once in his lifetime.

I don't think you're right about that Kris - see pages 46 & 47

PeteHall

Pitlamp said:
KristianBrook said:
Pitlamp said:

I don't think you're right about that Kris - see pages 46 & 47
While I think I can trust this without checking the reference, I did pick up my copy and re-read this section. Looks like I've got my evening reading sorted for tonight  (y)

Fulk

Here are a few snaps of Yordas last Saturday ? first, the entrance to the cave; second, the side enterance and the 'dry valley' above the cave; third, Yordas Pot.

Attachments

• Yordas Cave entrance 16_3_19 low res_edited-1.jpg
    Yordas Cave entrance 16_3_19 low res_edited-1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 631
  • Yordas 'dry valley'16_3_19 low res_edited-1.jpg
    Yordas 'dry valley'16_3_19 low res_edited-1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Yordas Pot entrance wet 16_3_19 low res.jpg
    Yordas Pot entrance wet 16_3_19 low res.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 456