Global Warming and Cooling Cave Records

P

Prince of Darkness

Anyone got any results on global temperature records from cave reasearch. I'm not a cave reseacher myself but is there anything from cave sediments, fossils etc that would indicate global temperatures in the short term say 0-100,000 years and longer term. I asking because this piece of reseach http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=5537548  has come up on fossilised midges.

Global warming from man made CO2 is crap.............in my opinion.

Bob Smith

cos the hockey stick graph is crap and ice core data contardicts it? there's still a lot of people that will tell you otherwise :confused: be better of if we all just saved a bit of energy and conserved resoures than concentrating on just reducing CO2

anfieldman

Has anyone watched 'An Inconvenient Truth'?
It certainly made me think that we are sh**ing this planet. The figures in the film speak for themselves.
:(

cap n chris

Try this for a bit of balance!..... - it's a scientific rebuttal of Gore's panicfest.

http://www.aconvenientfiction.com/inconvenient3.html

anfieldman

Do you think that such a sudden change in global temperature, ice shelves collapsing etc means something?
I am also thinking how the world has changed so much in my lifetime. When I was a kid we had cold winters with snow and it was biting cold (even in Swindon, not just oop North). The glaciers and ice shelves at the north pole were not disintegrating before our eyes. As they said in Gores film, the CO2 content in the atmosphere is the highest it has ever been (compared to ice core samples that go back 650,000 years) and during those 650,000 years there have been many global increases in temperature. Everyone is entitled to think what they want and I am not saying that only the film convinced me (even though I made it sound like that) :-[. My experiences of the weather when I was young also sways my opinion to 'it's our fault'.

Bob Smith

well graham, i'm sure this has all been discussed at length else where besides, i'm right you're wrong ya boo sucks! :tease: (oh, and you can't deny the hockey stick is crap, i mean using interpolated data for one bit then measured for another, well that's great science isn't it :sleep:)

Les W

anfieldman said:
As they said in Gores film, the CO2 content in the atmosphere is the highest it has ever been (compared to ice core samples that go back 650,000 years)

The atmospheric CO2 was at it's highest during the Carboniferous  :eek: 350,000,000 years ago! Ice cores don't tell it all.  :read:

Prince of Darkness said:
Anyone got any results on global temperature records from cave reasearch. I'm not a cave reseacher myself but is there anything from cave sediments, fossils etc that would indicate global temperatures in the short term say 0-100,000 years and longer term. I asking because this piece of reseach http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=5537548  has come up on fossilised midges.

If I read that that correctly then Global Warming (or more vaguely Climate Change) stuffs midges. I'll delay my munro-bagging stint until 2020.

P

Prince of Darkness

Anne said:
Prince of Darkness said:

Can I ask why you think that?
Because nobody has proved that man made CO2 has warmed the planet. Believe me, there is no proof.

langcliffe

Les W said:
The atmospheric CO2 was at it's highest during the Carboniferous  :eek: 350,000,000 years ago! Ice cores don't tell it all.

Actually, there was probably about twice as much carbon dioxide by mass in the atmosphere in Hadean times, then there is total atmosphere today.

However, coming forward into the Phanerozoic, current models indicate that the CO2 level was about ten times that of present atmospheric levels as now (with a large error range) in Cambrian times, reducing to about current levels in the Carboniferous. This partially explains the end of the Carboniferous / beginning of the Permian ice age. Levels then rose again in Mesozoic times, before reducing to current levels.

Hence, carbon dioxide was relatively low in Carboniferous times.

Oxygen levels, however, were very high during Carboniferous times. This was primarily due to the high rate of carbon sequestration, and accounts for how giant dragonflies were able to evolve.

andymorgan said:
The Poles are descended from the Slavs.
Not those Poles. They're in the Polish Club on Edmund Street, drinking ten thirty beer.
I meant the poles, North and South. The cold bits.

D

Dep

anfieldman said:
Do you think that such a sudden change in global temperature, ice shelves collapsing etc means something?
I am also thinking how the world has changed so much in my lifetime. When I was a kid we had cold winters with snow and it was biting cold (even in Swindon, not just oop North). The glaciers and ice shelves at the north pole were not disintegrating before our eyes. As they said in Gores film, the CO2 content in the atmosphere is the highest it has ever been (compared to ice core samples that go back 650,000 years) and during those 650,000 years there have been many global increases in temperature. Everyone is entitled to think what they want and I am not saying that only the film convinced me (even though I made it sound like that) :-[. My experiences of the weather when I was young also sways my opinion to 'it's our fault'.

My experience of it being different when I was younger is the same as yours, but my interpretation is not.

I agree it demonstrates a clear and unmistakeable sign that things have warmed up - but says nothing about the cause - man-made or natural background cycle.
I'm inclined to think it's a bit of both.

A very long time ago the atmosphere was mainly C02 with no free oxygen and the single celled creatures back then respired CO2 and gave off oxygen as a waste-product. Eventually they caused the atmosphere to change to what we see today and caused their own extinction making way for oxygen dependant and more advanced creatures.