Hidden Earth 2009

damian

No doubt Les will answer this himself soon but certainly as of last weekend the venue was not yet confirmed and, until it is, the date also can't be confirmed.

I reckon these things are quite complicated to organise but when sorted, we'll be told pretty quickly.

Bob Mehew

damian said:
I reckon these things are quite complicated to organise but when sorted, we'll be told pretty quickly.

I think you are wrong, I think these things are extremely complicated to organise! javascript:void(0);

Les W

Thank you both.

Damian has it mostly covered but Bob's comment is very true.

Currently two venues being considered but there are issues. One venue (which otherwise seems ideal) has a requirement for a 12 O'clock curfew due to residents near by. This means bar closed and band finished by 12 and all quite on the camp site as well.

Other venue is somewhat spread out but ticks most boxes. Most important it has few neighbours.

I'm pretty sure that I know the answer already but what do people think?

Once this decision is made I can book and then announce the date.  :beer: :beer: (y)

moorebooks

As a trader i found lastyears event frustrating as many people never found their way to the trade hall , there is nothing worse than the place beinmg empty most of the time . If registration, refreshments and bar are very near by then that is okay

for me the best ever venue was Tewksbury not least there was cheap accommdation nearby for all those who don't want to stay on the camp site with all the ad hoc problems (lack of toilets and behaviour) but want to enjoy the the evening events and beer with friends without having to drive miles to the nearest cheap accomm

Mike

anfieldman

Go for the one with no neighbours! You know it makes sense Les. Everyone who could not get to sleep last year will obviously bring earplugs with them. I know I will. We can all enjoy ourselves then. If the venue is big enough we can have as someone else suggested, a quiet area and a rowdy area to please all.
I can't wait.
:beer: :beer:

Peter Burgess

anfieldman said:
Go for the one with no neighbours! You know it makes sense Les. Everyone who could not get to sleep last year will obviously bring earplugs with them. I know I will. We can all enjoy ourselves then. If the venue is big enough we can have as someone else suggested, a quiet area and a rowdy area to please all.
I can't wait.
:beer: :beer:

I second that - with the real hope that it will be possible to have two camping areas as suggested.

Les W

moorebooks said:
so when will you announce where this will be ?

mike
As soon as I know so will you all.  (y)
(I have a quite demanding daytime job that currently involves me working from 7.30AM to 6 or 7 pm for the next few weeks at least. Problem is, all the negotiations at the venues need to happen during working hours, which is a problem. I will need to have the venue sorted soon so watch this space)

ChrisJC

I have a suggestion for HE this year.

On stage we have a panel, chaired by Les. Kicking off is WL with a suitably contentious article culled from that days Daily Mail / Independent etc.
Other panel members could be Graham & Downer as they seem to take issue with WL on most matters!

We could then add audience participation to the mix.

It could turn into a right old dust-up, especially if it's after a few shandys.

Chris.

zucca

hello!

any final decision regarding the dates yet? I've heard little birds saying that it would be on 25-27 sept. Can anyone confirm this?
I need the dates because the 60th anniversary dinner of cambridge UCC is the process of being booked and we don't want it to clash with HE.

cheers!

Bob Mehew

zucca said:
any final decision regarding the dates yet? I've heard little birds saying that it would be on 25-27 sept. Can anyone confirm this?

Les Williams stated that Hidden Earth would take place over the last weekend of September at BCA's Council meeting in January.  However, he then went on to say that while this was the date they had used in discussions with the venues, the venues could turn round and say sorry someone has booked us for that date.  So whilst it is a hot favourite, I presume it cannot be confirmed until the booking is made.