Need help finding a suitable cave for novel

Mrs. Mortensen

Please don't laugh at this request! I live in Canada and am writing a novel set in 5th Century CE Britain. I want to get details, including points of geography, geology and landscape, as accurate as possible. I visited Britain years ago, but a further in-person scouting trip to check on details just isn't possible at the moment. Countless hours of online research in regards to the question below have, unfortunately, come to a screeching halt, so I'm hoping that someone can help me out.

What I'm looking for is a suitable location in Britain to place a small, habitable cave in a wooded area or forest - preferably with a water source nearby. The cave should not be subterranean, but rather above-ground and relatively dry. It could be little more than a "hermit's cell", just big enough for one or two people to move around in.

It would make most sense to the plot for the cave to be located in the south of Britain. The New Forest, for example, would be an ideal spot, but I've never seen any mention of cave-bearing geology in that area.

If I have to move the location, I will, but I'd like to exhaust all possibilities before I do!

So, bottom line:  does anyone know of any possibilities in Britain - whether in the south or anywhere else - for a small, dry, above-ground cave in a forest?

I know I'm not asking much!  :)  Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Mrs. M.

jarvist

My first thought would be Yordas, Kingsdale in Yorkshire. It is right below the Turbary Road, and easy walking distance from Ingleton. The area around there has been in continual occupation since the iron age at least. Currently there is a small copse of trees around Yordas, but my understanding is that the forests of Yorkshire (most of England for that matter) were much more extensive before the trees were chopped down by human hand, leading to the now established peat bogs.

The cave itself has an entrance at ground level (you sort of duck and walk into the hill), a large chamber that could be habitable (but does also flood irregularly) and a waterfall in the corner, which also connects to a middle and a higher entrance.

For the hermit's cell angle & doing the whole 'historical resonances through the ages' thingy, the mystery of Trow Ghyll Skeleton is certainly an intriguing one!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trow_Ghyll_skeleton

Mrs. Mortensen

Hey, thanks, everyone!  :clap:

They all look good, and actually remind me quite a bit of the caves we have here in Ontario on the Bruce Peninsula.  The Peninsula's limestone is loaded with potholes, crevices and caves of all sizes, the largest of which are probably Bruce's Caves:  http://www.google.ca/search?q=bruce+caves+images&hl=en&prmd=imvnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=WQ_CT5OjN8rs2QWnyfyDAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFUQsAQ&biw=1133&bih=698

and Greig's Caves:  http://www.google.ca/search?q=greig's+caves+images&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xQ_CT6apB6WO2QW83bGRAQ&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1133&bih=698

The movie Quest for Fire was filmed at Greig's.

None of the caves is subterranean, but they're all worth seeing and have been left pretty much au naturel.  There are also sea stacks (flowerpots) both inland and out in Georgian Bay, an inland sea arch, conchoidal fracturing, alvars and fossils.  You can't beat a hike along the outstanding Bruce Trail, and a ferry trip out to Flowerpot Island offers even more goodies.

The flora (such as rare orchids and ferns) and fauna in the area are outstanding.  Well worth a trip if you're ever across The Pond!  (I sound like an advert.)

Anyway, thanks so much for all the suggestions.  I'll get to work checking them out.

Cheers,
Mrs. M.

Marshall

Just to add another couple of hours to your research I'm going to have to suggest Symonds Yat 'C' caves. Overlooking the picturesque Wye Valley and set into the whitehead limestone below the Yat Rock itself these shelters seem to fit the bill. Here's one of the, frankly shoddy, shots I got last time I visited; http://www.flickr.com/photos/56868644@N07/7280298534/#in/photostream and a link to another thread on the forum relating to them; http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=13532.0

I know there is a lot of history and archaeology concerning the area but google will help you with this far more than I ever can!  :confused:

Speleofish

I'd suggest Saye's Hole in Cheddar - large entrance at valley floor level, close to Cheddar Risings, habitable chamber (with evidence of iron age habitation) and ensuite lake... Also in Cheddar but slightly less convenient for water supply: Cooper's Hole, Great Oone's Hole and Long Hole.

graham

Speleofish said:
I'd suggest Saye's Hole in Cheddar - large entrance at valley floor level, close to Cheddar Risings, habitable chamber (with evidence of iron age habitation) and ensuite lake... Also in Cheddar but slightly less convenient for water supply: Cooper's Hole, Great Oone's Hole and Long Hole.

For some reason I always forget Saye's Hole when thinking of Cheddar. It has the advantage that, if you ignore the modern buildings all around, it probably hasn't changed much since the 5th century.

Persephone

Im biased and would say Castleton cave area in fact people did live in Peak Cavern, just google Hope Valley caves

Alex

Just realised 5 century then any cave would do as the majority of the country was forested back then, even the dales. There must be some caves in the south of wales that fit the bill even if not forested now.

bograt

I can think of 3 places in Derbyshire that would suit, (we are thinking fiction after all); Hermits cave, Robin Hoods Stride; Hermits Cave, Dale Abbey; and that wonderful overhung rock shelter at Alport - by - Youlgreave,  lived in till quite recently (always fascinated me that place).

Speleofish

Returning to Mendip, the obvious place is Wookey Hole (though a little large). Some of the caves down the valley might be better.

Andrew W

The opening poster hasn't logged in since the beginning of June. I presume she has already got the information she needs.