climber looking for a new challenge.

incursion75

Hi my name is Adam.

I am a rock climber and have been for about 5 or 6 years now and on a recent climbing holiday to kalymnos (Greece). I stumble across a cave. Having never been in a cave before I done some asking about amongst the locals and was assured the cave was a walk in the park and had ladders insitu where needed. So I went for a look I took some basic climbing gear just in case my helmet and plenty of batteries for my head torch and a spare torch itself. (Have no idea if this is been paranoid but thought it best to be over prepared). Any way long story short my mind was blown loved every minute of it and before I knew it I had widdled away the best part of 4 hours.

since returning home I have been looking for places I could visit I'm not interested in anything that has floodlighting or tourist rubbish. What equipment will I need not covered by a climbing rack? how is the best way to start? Are there any websites detailing caving techniques and jargon busting. I am a very competent climber I have good knowledge of rigging vertical ropes and placing protection are these skills transferable or are there differences I need to be made aware of?

Thanks for reading and I have every faith that you lot are just as helpful as the climbing community.

JasonC

To echo the above, contacting a club is your best bet, most are always keen on new members, especially those with existing skills.  There's a list here: http://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=about:member_clubs

Some of your skills and kit will be transferable.  Most popular caves are fitted out with hangers to rig from, so some of the belaying effort is removed.  As with any sport, you can spend loads on kit, but you can start small and build up gradually.
First requirement is a helmet and light - sounds like you have one, but they can be hired cheaply if not.  Next, IMO, is an oversuit which start at around ?60.  Not all caves need SRT kit, but many do.  If you join a club, chances are they'll have a set you can borrow - you should find it similar to climbing gear but different.

If you get keen, you'll want an undersuit (think onesie :) ), kneepads, elbow pads, neoprene socks etc etc, but these can come later

incursion75

Hi mike I live in Birmingham but my other half lives in Nottinghamshire I usually climb in and around the peak district. Not sure if I would be better looking for a club where I like to go or where I live. I have never done the club thing before I learnt climbing through friends one of which owns a climbing centre in Birmingham I would be happy to learn caving in the same manner but have no friends that partake.

And Pete thanks for the links I'm working a night shift tonight so I now have plenty of reading for the night  ;)

ah147

Hi Adam.

I came to caving after climbing for 12 years all over the world. I'm a self taught climber, sailer, skier etc so wondered if clubs would be for me. Fell in with Orpheus about a year ago. They're based in the peak near monyash. Loved every second of it.

They're active out several nights midweek and most weekends either away or in the peak and always love to see new interested parties.

That said, I've caved with a few different clubs unofficially and they've all been brilliant too!

So basically, get yourself down a club! You'll love it!

Ash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

incursion75

Hi Ash how did you find the transition from climbing to caving? And my other concern is that a lot of the time I'm only available at weekends when most climbing venues become over crowded and littered with groups. Is this also such a big problem with caving or is it generally more accessible of a weekend than climbing?

ah147

I wrote a long winded reply to your PM but for some reason it doesn't appear to have sent, so I'll try again on here!

incursion75 said:
Hi Ash how did you find the transition from climbing to caving??

Relatively easy, the skill sets are similar but at the same time very different. More time is spent horizontal in caves so its cave fitness that is the hardest thing to gain! Ropework etc is more akin to big wall set ups with little freeclimbing and more jumaring/abseiling. Most stuff is off bolts but not big 13mm ones, little 8mm ones so if you hear cavers fretting about bolts pulling, don't think they're wimps! As such most of their rigging is backed up, they don't use cordelettes or slings most of the time to equalise the belay, just the rope, but its just a few extra knots to learn etc. The whole caving experience is more easily likened to alpine climbing or mountaineering than cragging.

incursion75 said:
my other concern is that a lot of the time I'm only available at weekends when most climbing venues become over crowded and littered with groups. Is this also such a big problem with caving or is it generally more accessible of a weekend than climbing?

Much much more accessible. Running into other people is quite a rarity in Derbyshire, and when it does happen, most people will rig under you if they arrive after you so you can strip easily. That said, I've never run into another party in Derbyshire, only in big systems in South Wales. A little common sense is fine!

However, I now see you've replied to my PM, but I've written this so I'm posting it!  :tease:

ah147

Copied from PM with permission

incursion75 said:
What's the deal with protection do you use nuts and cams a lot or is it mainly bolted? The fitness is going to be an issue I'm sure. have only jugged up a rope a hand full of times and that was when I realised I could also breath through my back passage lol.

As I say, mainly bolted. But with alot smaller bolts than used in climbing! However, most places these are now being replaced with good, strong, glue in bolts!

Jugging up ropes is hard work, but the systems used in caving are alot more efficient than the ones used in climbing! Surround yourself with people experienced in the more efficient systems, practice them through necessity and it becomes second nature!

The main aspect of fitness though is its just hard work moving through alot of cave passage! Especially the smaller ones.

kay

incursion75 said:
I am a rock climber and have been for about 5 or 6 years now and on a recent climbing holiday to kalymnos (Greece). I stumble across a cave. Having never been in a cave before I done some asking about amongst the locals and was assured the cave was a walk in the park and had ladders insitu where needed.

Which cave? That sounds like Skalia.

bograt

The main problem I usually found with helping climbers with the transition to the nobler sport was flexibilty, most climbers have developed solid upper body muscles but have never worked out how to move them about to manoeuvre smaller cave passages. This ability comes quite quickly with practice and experience to fit, enthusiastic participants, don't get disheartened too readily, the rewards are worth it. (y)

Bottlebank

Main problem I find with them is teaching them how to buy a round and drink like proper cavers. They're usually pretty good at the complicated stuff, rope work, digging, carrying and so on.

A little like students really  :beer:

caving_fox

I'm one of the Cambridge Caving and CXlimbing Club we get a few people prepared to try the dark side now and again. The biggest difference is probably the party ethos. Climbers are normally just pair up and off you go for the day, rejoing the club later on. Cavers will be a group of 4-8 all together pretty much all day although you do get spread out a bit on a vertical trip. There's a bit more organisation required and a bit more checking that everyone's together. More social. Normally find it best to think of the two rope systems as being completely different and not attempt to apply climbing midnset to the cavers way of doing things.

Dont' use your climbing rope caving!

incursion75

Wow you guys/girls are quick having trouble replying all the pm's, that's a good thing tho getting lots of useful information. What are people's thoughts on getting out for the first time, should I introduce myself to a club and take it from there or would a guide be a better option to find out if I have a head for the small spaces etc? How did you guys and girls start?

caving_fox

Club. They'll make sure you've got sensible gear, and will know some locations where you can have fun and challenge yourself without overdoing it or being at too much risk.

incursion75

caving_fox said:
Dont' use your climbing rope caving!

Am I right in assuming that you use dry treated ropes and make use mainly of static ropes for rigging with dynamic cow tails. Apart from the obvious exceptions like in a lead climbing situation?

Pete K

Andy Sparrow's book Complete Caving Manual (new addition) would be a good start. UK caving specific.