Mine conservation, particularly regarding Snake Mine

zomjon

After our recent discussions about the digging out of squeezes in Mines, I was down Snake Mine tonight for the first time in about 6 months, along with a group of mates. It's a particular favourite of myself and Owd git (Ric) and we were pleasantly surprised at the amount of bolting someone had done down there (better than out array of scaffold poles!), though we were very disappointed to find the recent chiselled efforts of JB and DL on 14.01.14 and will do our best to cover up these unwanted additions to the mining heritage found in this fantastic mine.

AR

I was deeply unimpressed to see this new graff in Snake last night, the mine is a Scheduled Ancient Monument so the perpetrators could potentially be prosecuted for doing this but aside of that, would they be as quick to chisel their mark into a natural passage? Somehow I doubt it.

This was a completely thoughtless act, old mines are hazardous places, thoughtlessness + hazards = cave rescue call-outs.

martinm

Where is Snake Mine. It's not on the CoPD index. What sort of bolting? P-Bolting? (Or whatever they're called these days!) Have you a photo of the 'graff'. I only know of one JB and he does bolting for DCA, don't know who DL might be. PM me if you don't want this info in public. It can be brought up at the UCF meeting next month. Mel.

zomjon

Hi Mel, Snake is just off the Via Gellia. The bolting is 8mm expansion bolts I presume, but we are not saying that the bolting is connected to the graffiti and the JBs we can think of, we are pretty sure would not be chiselling their initials!

AR

Snake's listed in the DCA handbook (there's an access agreement in place with the landowners) but not in CoPD as there's no natural of any consequence met in any of the accessible workings. No-one had a camera last night so there's no photos but I will raise this at the UCF meeting.

martinm

zomjon said:
Hi Mel, Snake is just off the Via Gellia. The bolting is 8mm expansion bolts I presume, but we are not saying that the bolting is connected to the graffiti and the JBs we can think, of we are pretty sure would not be chiselling their initials!

Okies. If you can cover over the damage that would be great. Just makes me wonder who's been doing it.... Is access really easy? If so it might youths doing it, but why on earth would they carry a chisel (and presumably hammer) with them? Strange.

But, I guess no stranger than peeps going into Devonshire and messing that up too. Thankfully that is being / has been sorted by now. I think Adam sorted it.

Oops, cross posting, lol. That would be good Adam. I'll look in the handbook later and add it to the agenda. Mel. Just got to confirm venue tomorrow.

AR

It's on the main upper level at Snake which is two pitches down from the  coe entrance - you need SRT kit or ladders to get to it so it's not kids that have done this like the rubbish and spraypaint at Devonshire last summer.

ah147

It's a bit grotty and nasty in there! The deads, the bolts, the scaff belay, the corkscrew shaft, everything in that place is trying to kill you! Brilliant, interesting mine though with lots to look at for a short trip. Shame to hear of vandalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr conners

It really is an interesting place and l must thank ric (owd git) and jon (zomjon) for inviting us. However the chiselled graffiti is not in a particularly accessible place so its not your average punter.  It has to be cavers or at least guests of competent cavers.  :mad:

This sort of bollocks shows a total lack of respect for these amazing and fragile environments. Yes it is a mine.  But a historically important mine.
Twats.

Gollum

Have we checked if there is a record of who was in there on that date? Every time I have been there we have had to show our BCA insurance card and a copy has been taken.
We need to get to the bottom of who is vandalising our caves and mines in Derbyshire especially if they are club/BCA members

AR

Ric's going to ask at the farm to see if they have a record of anyone going down on the date in question. 

Jules - we discounted you as a culprit straight away, likewise John Barnatt....

I'm very partial to a Snake Mine trip myself...but its not this JB either!
Besides anyone that knows me would know I'd never carry a hammer and chisel (or indeed anything at all) unless absolutely necessary!

martinm

I have it on good authority, from a certain JB, lol, (I now know the perps names, thanx JB!  (y)), that these issues are being addressed by various people asap. Nice one.  (y) Will report back  after the next UCF meeting on 12th May. (Venue to be confirmed, but probably around Fenny Bentley.)

Regards Mel. DCA Conservation Officer.

Speleokitty

Its worth noting that some of the bolts down there are still the original ones placed by me in the early 1980s and are well overdue for replacement. I would treat them with extreme caution.

Regards

Julie

zomjon

Thanks for the warning Julie, but the bolts have been replaced with an array of new ones and I've always used the supply of scaffold bars we have down there.
Mel, does that mean you now have the names of our culprits with the chisel?

martinm

zomjon said:
Thanks for the warning Julie, but the bolts have been replaced with an array of new ones and I've always used the supply of scaffold bars we have down there.
Mel, does that mean you now have the names of our culprits with the chisel?

I do indeed, just need to let the appropriate people investigate and report back and advise on course of action... shouldn't say any more at the mo, but it is being investigated...

owd git

Hi all.
Adam has full info , confirmation from Rosie and has all in hand. (y)
One not yet mentioned concern; wee drop down to 140' level left rigged with Ali'  crabs on stainless hangers. white gell forming!!!! sure electrolysis of dissimilar metals has been done before. (y) (y)
top of 2nd climber rigged with 2 mallions rust showing and seem smaller gauge than I would usually use.(tho i'm no beanpole.)
Great job on scaff clips on the Engine shaft. Glad my concrete was up to it :eek:
some peeps have put another of my poles to good use in the coe entrance
are there plans to dig the far climber?
well done whoever.
O, G.