Cave Surveying Group meet, April 18th, Yorkshire

wookey

This year's CSG field meet will be in Yorkshire on Sunday 18th April, at the YSS.

We will be covering the new craze of fully-electronic surveying with DistoX and PDAs. You will be able to try out the kit, learn the techniques and find out the pros and cons, before forking out for your own kit (most people who try it do...). We'll also look at the process of turning the results into real surveys.

And we'll be doing some experiments with generating surveys from video camera footage, in order to determine whether this technique is practical without spending 10 grand on boujou4. The more lights, cameras, expertise and computing people can bring the better for this.

On Saturday evening there will be the opportunity to look in more detail at the techniques for tiling surveys on top of online mapping/aerial photos, following on from the talk at the symposium.

We're staying at the YSS, Helwith Bridge (i.e about 40m from a fine pub), with the cave technology symposium on the Saturday.

Training in any aspect of surveying is available if you ask in advance (so we can bring the relevant kit and someone who knows how to use it). All survey-related tasks are of interest so if you have something you want to show or discuss or test, do please bring it along.

<Details re food, sleeping, registering, etc will follow, when I find out myself.>

I hope some of that sounds interesting enough that a few of you will come along. Last year's meet in Wales was great.

wookey

wookey said:
<Details re food, sleeping, registering, etc will follow, when I find out myself.>

OK, some details: For food there are good cooking facilites at the YSS, but it will be quite full so something quick and easy might be a good idea. So far as know the extremely handy pub doesn't actually do food so that's not an option. Someone correct me if I am wrong about that.

If you are coming and haven't told Allan Richardson yet them you may not have anywhere to sleep. The YSS is going to be very full that weekend and almost all of our 10 slots are gone. Email allan: allanr@caving.demon.co.uk to bags a space. Bringing a tent or other back-up plan might be a good idea.

We have had a couple of requests for surveying training, both conventional and DistoX so that will be happening. Not sure which caves we are going to use. Usually it's Yordas or Valley entrance but if anyone has suggestions for something with easy access that's good for a bit of surveying practice (ideally a ~100m loop including some junctions and a steep bit ) then that would be better.

ianball11

Going off old memory the pub does do big food, english breakfast if you book it and have a minimum of 4 and the evening meals are usual pub foods.

Passing on more possibly wrong info, camping is a fiver a tent in the field next to the pub.

Are the surveying training sessions on the Sunday? And do you have to be a BCRA member to come along? 

Ian Ball.

footleg

ianball11 said:
Are the surveying training sessions on the Sunday?

No, the Saturday is the cave technology symposium, with talks on all sorts of caving technology topics in Horton-in-Ribblesdale Village Hall (see the link Les posted above for full details). The surveying workshops/training/messing about with kit will be on the Sunday. I am running a DistoX/PDA surveying workshop as part of this event.

wookey

Or less confusingly, 'Yes, the survey training is on the Sunday' :)

And glad to hear that the pub does do food. I did check its web pages and whilst they were entertaining they didn't inform at all on this point.