How many active cavers around?

walshy155

Hello everybody, just to quickly ask, are there many active cavers or anybody digging around west Black Mountain? It's been a long time coming that a bigger system is found near Llygad Llwchwr. Does anybody agree with me that the system is likely running from north east?

jbaer

There are plenty of diggers in the Black Mountains and most of them keep the news of their digs very quiet.  The only one that might go is the potential 5th Entrance to Dreanon.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I had a dig in Pwll Sund a long time back.  Lot's of potential there.  Not sure who is active in the area anymore.  Liam Keely was but not sure whether he is still around, or even with us  :unsure:

Rhys

Liam is still in the area. I don't think he's still digging though. Still lots of potential!

shotlighter

Badlad said:
I had a dig in Pwll Sund a long time back.  Lot's of potential there.  Not sure who is active in the area anymore.  Liam Keely was but not sure whether he is still around, or even with us  :unsure:
Liam did a write up for the CC&PC journal in the mid 80s, on the potential of the Black Mountain area.
I've a copy, if anyone interested drops me a PM I'll see if I can scan the said article.
Needless to say, this article is Liams/CC&PC copyright!
Last I heard he'd given up caving for the bright lights of "show business"  ::)

Nigel (CC&PC sec.)

walshy155

It's a shame that the caving community isn't very developed, so much has yet to be found, it's very enticing to spend hours upon hours searching for new prospective dig sites and acutally digging, but time nd manpower is the constraint unfortunately...

mudman

walshy155 said:
It's a shame that the caving community isn't very developed, so much has yet to be found, it's very enticing to spend hours upon hours searching for new prospective dig sites and acutally digging, but time nd manpower is the constraint unfortunately...

And SSSI designations.

ryanctj

I am not an authority on the subject, but from what I have read Llygad has been dye tested to caves in the Herbert's Quarry area, with speeds suggestive of open passage. The potential distance and vertical drop between the two points is greater than that of OFD. I think due to the above, a NE/SW direction is generally accepted, and the cave would be a biggie.

As to how many people are currently looking, that's a good question, and one I've asked myself. The area is vast and full of potential, they say, but where exactly to look? I walk there regularly and have recently started to turn over some rocks as I go, but it would be interesting to know where the best potential places to dig would be.

Graigwen

ryanctj said:
I am not an authority on the subject, but from what I have read Llygad has been dye tested to caves in the Herbert's Quarry area, with speeds suggestive of open passage. The potential distance and vertical drop between the two points is greater than that of OFD. I think due to the above, a NE/SW direction is generally accepted, and the cave would be a biggie.

As to how many people are currently looking, that's a good question, and one I've asked myself. The area is vast and full of potential, they say, but where exactly to look? I walk there regularly and have recently started to turn over some rocks as I go, but it would be interesting to know where the best potential places to dig would be.

It is very clear that there is a big system upstream from Llygad Llwchwr waiting to be discovered. It seems likely that the lower part includes a lot of sumped passages but that may well not apply further upstream. There has been good discussion on this topic years ago on this forum, perhaps it would be worthwhile to have a up to date re-run now. That is likely to be more productive than repeated discussions about a certain system far to the east.

Trig Gledhill

If it wasn't an 1:20 drive to The Black mountain, I for one would be showing a keen interest in digging away many an evening up there.

Fingers crossed some of the local boys crack open something special up there

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk