Chat Room for CAVERS!!!

Amy

I just created an IRC chatroom for CAVERS! :D If you are a caver or interested in caving, please join! #WorldWideCavers on the Foonetic server. If you dont know how to IRC you have options:
1) You can use it through programs like Trillian, xchat, or Pidgin, look for your IRC option and follow the program directions for adding IRC channels
2) IRC programs, like mIRC
3) Through your web browser, www.mibbit.com select the foonetic server and type in #WorldWideCavers to the channel, and type whatever name you wish for username

Amy

This is a forum. What I posted is a chat room, yes! So like, im'ing more than one person at a time! Right now peeps in there are US peeps, but they want to hear about caving in the UK so I said I'd try and hook some of ya'all on it! What better way to make new caverfriends and connections?

=D

Hughie

We had a chatroom once. Driveltastic it was. And alcohol fuelled.

Died a death.

We used to have Karma as well. Now that was fun  ;) ;). I wonder whatever became of "New Phil"?

Oceanrower

IRC is an open protocol that uses TCP[1] and optionally TLS. An IRC server can connect to other IRC servers to expand the IRC network.[13] Users access IRC networks by connecting a client to a server.[14] There are many client implementations such as mIRC or XChat and server implementations, e.g. the original IRCd. Most IRC servers do not require users to register an account but a user will have to set a nickname before being connected.[15]
IRC was originally a plain text protocol[1] (although later extended), which on request was assigned port 194/TCP by IANA.[16] However, the de facto has always been to run IRC on 6667/TCP[17] and nearby port numbers (for example TCP ports 6660-6669, 7000)[18] to avoid having to run the IRCd software with root privileges.

Yep. That really helped!

Amy

IRC = Internet Relay Chat

Its basically a chat protocol just like your AIM or Yahoo Messanger or Facebook Chat. It lets multiple people talk tp everyone else in the sameroom rather than 1 on 1 and in real time.

More helpful?

Hughie

Oceanrower said:
IRC is an open protocol that uses TCP[1] and optionally TLS. An IRC server can connect to other IRC servers to expand the IRC network.[13] Users access IRC networks by connecting a client to a server.[14] There are many client implementations such as mIRC or XChat and server implementations, e.g. the original IRCd. Most IRC servers do not require users to register an account but a user will have to set a nickname before being connected.[15]
IRC was originally a plain text protocol[1] (although later extended), which on request was assigned port 194/TCP by IANA.[16] However, the de facto has always been to run IRC on 6667/TCP[17] and nearby port numbers (for example TCP ports 6660-6669, 7000)[18] to avoid having to run the IRCd software with root privileges.

Yep. That really helped!

Nope - not a fecking word....

Amy

Elaine said:
I loved the days of the chat room. But we all drifted off and it died a death.
SO come say hi! :D :D :D

Les - yea i know other programs do it to, IRC is just a nice protocol I like it :p

TheBitterEnd

Amy said:
So like, im'ing more than one person at a time!

I can see Fulk's face now as he tries to parse the misplaced apostrophe in the verb form of a contraction of "I Am".

Tip - if someone doesn't know what a chat room is, it's a safe bet they don't know what IM (instant messaging) is...

Peter Burgess

Much as I used to enjoy the chat room here, its demise did at least stop me wasting a good part of an evening which I now use more productively!