Going here in 2013!!

Amy

Half mile...vertical.  ;) I won't be rappeling it myself this time around but maybe in 2016. How's that for a single pitch drop? haha. About 200 lbs of rope weight at the top. Fun times! Fewer people have done the SRT loop on El Cap *total*, than climb Mt Everest *every year*.

el capitan rappel

Brains

Looks impressive, was expecting there to be helicopter footage but then realised it was a head cam! Do you have knott changes on that or a just a huge piece of string?

CatM

Jeeez listen to all the screeching of the rope - that would scare the crap out of me! Great views though.

By "loop" I assume that means prussicking up aswell? Not for me thank you!

bograt

And I thought I was being intrepid jumping off High Tor (200ft) on a figure of eight !. (it was 1973)

Amy

No rebelays, it's one straight rope straight down. Any long drops you'll get the rope noise...heck I get it on 200-300ft stuff. Happens when you pick up speed even to the 1m/sec "safe speed".  Lotssssssss of friction with a rope that long, you have 200lbs of weight under you! this is why 24-36" racks are used...there is a haul line at the top so you can get over the lip. But we will practice changeovers and everything, weighted. Just the other day friend of mine did a top to down changeover, rigging in his 24 inch rack with me on rope under him to give the rope weight.

There is one rope, specially made. Last time I believe the core was manufactured in one length, but the sheath was pieced together. It's a special order rope to get it long enough of course, PMI (Pigeon Mt Industries) makes it. Someone is on rope rappeling or climbing basically at all times. Climbers often go at night (cooler). Climb times range just under an hour to 9 hrs, average around 3-4 hours to climb it. Not bad for climbing a half mile vertical. All climbs are tandom (two people on rope at once). We only have one rope. It's all Single rope technique. And yes by "loop" I mean you have to rappel the rope, and climb it.

The hike to the top takes 8-12 hrs alone...may as well climb on the rope at that point! lol.

I keep telling ya'all we do LOOOOONNNNGGGGG rope stuff here! :D

Amy

tony from suffolk said:
...but what if you need a wee-wee?
hold it or unzip your fly and go...you can unzip a fly sitting in a seat harness. Difficult but doable. Get about 100ft above your climbing partner if you are climbing on top and hope you are good friends!

Rich West

Have fun Amy.
After that will your next trip be to Baffin Island and Mount Thor? The first descent of this purely vertical drop of over 3,200 feet was made by cavers from the USA.

Amy

Canada no longer issues permits to rappel Mt Thor. It was not our team that did the rappel...although our team's leader's credentials were used to get the permit the time it was issued and was then kicked off the team! I know that the death of one of their park rangers (untrained novice the team that went let rappel) who tried to rappel it didn't help. It wasn't our team though. Yeah....lots of stuff before my time happened there and I'll just leave it at that.

I know we hope to one day maybe be able to get a permit. Proper training, and attention to safety, and excellent experience are key to doing such things safe...try to shortcut stuff and shit has much higher chance of going south fast.