I'm a published cave photographer!

Amy

Like...officially! I was contacted to license some of my photos for an article!

I didnt come up with the headline but i guess daredevil sells lol. The article is pretty well written! It showcases the SCCi (Southeastern Cave Conservancy) very well and puts cavers in a good conservation light. Which for here is a big thing since it seems every news story about caves has to have a rescue or mention of WNS. SCCi is amazing and we protect and conserve caves for safe enjoyment.

I'm super excited so I thought I'd share it here. No comments about it being the Mail :p they did get all the facts straight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2152133/Heart-stopping-pictures-daredevil-caver-descend-162-foot-pitch-black-abyss.html

Roger W

Yep!  I was glad to read that the brave US climber was in fact suspended by a rope as he abseiled down.  Reckon he'd have gone a lot faster without one!

But great pictures, Amy.  Well done!

Fulk

Hi Amy, well done.

Getting your pictures published is great ? I hope that they paid well for them . . . . . ?  :)  I'd have been proud to have taken those photos.

Good luck,

caving_fox

"The fearless pair rest on a ledge at the start of their journey deep into the earth"

Would that be one of those ledges covered in rare ferns in need of convervation?!  ;)

Great pictures.  (y)

Amy

caving_fox said:
"The fearless pair rest on a ledge at the start of their journey deep into the earth"

Would that be one of those ledges covered in rare ferns in need of convervation?!  ;)

Great pictures.  (y)
no the ferns are down in the cave. They were up at a rig point. Yeah we actually have bolts to rig off of for this cave! Lol shocking isn't it???

barrabus

Well done Amy, nice photos.

Getting your photos published is always good. I'll never forget the first time I had a photo published: it was for the Fell & Rock Climbing Club Lake District Rock guidebook. Ten years later and people are still buying it.

Alex

Well done Amy, far better than my efforts. I keep meaning to get a slave flash, my only issue is getting people to stand still long enough for the set up.

langcliffe

Alex said:
Well done Amy, far better than my efforts. I keep meaning to get a slave flash, my only issue is getting people to stand still long enough for the set up.

You can actually get some pretty good photographs without any setting up. A friend of mine has a slave unit which he simply holds away from his body, and he takes some pretty good photos without anybody noticing that he's doing it.

Amy

langcliffe said:
Alex said:

You can actually get some pretty good photographs without any setting up. A friend of mine has a slave unit which he simply holds away from his body, and he takes some pretty good photos without anybody noticing that he's doing it.
Yeah part of my whole thing is minimal kit. I snap off a few good shots in the time others take dozens and get nothing free of halos and dust sparkles and such. Few of people I regularly cave with especially one I work really well with and it takes really no time at all.

Alex

Its getting the daren drum out and putting the tripod down that takes the time, but if I just have the camera in my shoulder pocket like I have been doing recently then that time is gone, I can take "hand-held" night shots which look okay, but slightly out of focus:

459024_4048485089439_190874243_o.jpg

459997_4048503609902_1201291410_3820226_1617526459_o.jpg

But not as good as the long exposure ones:

475105_4048486049463_1201291410_3820208_1437904705_o.jpg

463220_4048505049938_1201291410_3820227_1581621530_o.jpg