Amy's El Cap journal

Amy

For when I have Internet anyway! Which won't be forever.

On the road I am...was going to leave in the early morning but I'm too hyped up to sleep so gonna get some miles crossed before I zonk.

There really isn't anything cool until we hit Arizona which is a couple of states including Texas away!

Amy

Missed a few states updates but now in Texas. Yup. It's dry and ugly.
1001359_595673697139552_1051155206_n.jpg

And has a bigass cross. Of course!
1017400_595673713806217_1893988241_n.jpg

Amy

Actually I'm told it has a cell tower inside...I guess so God can spy on you? Lol!

Just made it through New Mexico and into Arizona now!! Finally good stuff to see today.

Working on adjusting to the altitude. Headache short of breath etc. it hits me a but early.

1547_595957480444507_446241993_n.jpg

1044988_595957440444511_308043876_n.jpg

ah147

Enjoy it, best thing I ever did Yosemite. Would love to go again.

Don't worry about altitude too much, you ascend so slowly anyway!

What routes are you looking at doing?

Amy

Painted Desert in Arizona. Have lots photos of petrified forest but in my camera not my iPhone so I can't share them :)

1044917_596030710437184_2077297133_n.jpg

Ah147: our team is rappelling and climbing it SRT. Single pitch. We have a 3000ft long rope that will hang in the air for a week. It is the longest known open free rappel in the world. Mt Thor is longer up in Canada but it is closed to rappellers. If you're curious details, here is a former expedition there (same team I'm on ) and it documents the world record longest tandem rappel. Our team leader also holds the world record triple rappel. vimeo.com/29814797

Amy

Fast climbers will be up in 1.5-2hrs. Standard pace is 3-4.
It takes about 15-30min to rappel depending how fast you go.

Amy

Missed posting a lot of photos but they're on my fb. Anyway...heading up Tioga Pass soon. Ill be out of cell range for 2 weeks, a glorious two weeks!!!

Amy

Bumping as I finally finished the video.

July 2013. A 3000-ft long rope hangs in the air off of El Capitan, on a route called by those who use it the "Nylon Highway", which hangs over the Mescalito rock climbing route. This is the story of their week on rope, hanging a half-mile in the air, rappelling and climbing the longest (open/known)* free drop in the WORLD.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i48IAfl5RCc&hd=1

(please be sure to watch in HD!)

*Since you are all cavers and bound to be picky :p the other known is Mt Thor wayyyy up in Canada which is about a mile free rappel. It is closed since a group went and let a canadian park ranger on the rope with no training, and of course, said ranger died going out of control.  :cautious: El Cap is much easier to get to though...not in snow and using helicoptors and all that. And still...quite an undertaking as it is. And I'm sure in other countries somewhere there is bound to be a high enough cliff to get more than a half mile free rappel...it's like there's bound to be deeper/bigger/longer caves and passages...but where? LOL.

graham

Amy said:
*Since you are all cavers and bound to be picky :p  ...  And I'm sure in other countries somewhere there is bound to be a high enough cliff to get more than a half mile free rappel...it's like there's bound to be deeper/bigger/longer caves and passages...but where? LOL.

The highest cliff in Europe is the Troll Wall in Norway: about 1,100 metres (3,600 ft) from its base to the summit of its highest point. At its steepest, the summit ridge overhangs the base of the wall by nearly 50 metres (160 ft).

I have absolutely no idea what the longest free hang abseil might be on here, but clearly there is potential to beat El Cap, although probably not Mt. Thor.

Troll_Wall_in_shadow.jpg