what rail online booking system do you use?

Amy

Okay, so the route I want is GWR, but their site is completely hating my card (which works fine on Bravissimo, and other UK sites, so I know it is THEIR site fucking up). The route I want has a printable ticket according to GWR, but none of the other sites seem to offer that as an option (and let's face it, a printable ticket would be easiest for me!)

So. There are a plethora of rail sites. Which do you use with no fees that will give me the print ticket option??? As obviously I am not paying a ton for US delivery, and I have no UK address to send them to (nor would that help if I did).

I could try using my SO's card, but that does not help me as it says I need to have the card I purchased with me for verification. So it has to be my card.

Why the f*** is travel so hard? I have spent TWO HOURS on this. Just want a fucking train ticket in advance so I don't have to shell out for a walkon.

AliRoll

you might be able to use nationalrail.co.uk and select the pick up from station option (requires you to select a particular station) and get the ticket when you get to the UK.

I requires the card that you booked with and your booking reference, plus the station be suitable for it (most large ones are). I don't however know if works with a card that isn't British? might be worth calling them?

it might work? cant guaranty anything.

Amy

AliRoll said:
you might be able to use nationalrail.co.uk and select the pick up from station option (requires you to select a particular station) and get the ticket when you get to the UK.

I requires the card that you booked with and your booking reference, plus the station be suitable for it (most large ones are). I don't however know if works with a card that isn't British? might be worth calling them?

it might work? cant guaranty anything.
Nationalrail.co.uk is where I found it at, and it pipes me to GWR to make the booking. I know PAD has such a station to pick up the ticket from. Their customer service said to call them as well, heh...I don't have an international calling plan and I'm not paying a ton of money to do such a phone call. I asked if they can call ME instead (let's see if they will...)

Bob - trainline seemed to have a fee? was charging like 5.50gbp more than national rail / GWR for the same train. I guess will try that though if I cannot get GWR to work.

Amy

OMG fucking banks.

I tried through a different site and it still didn't go through, called the bank, they were blocking it WITHOUT TELLING ME. Yeah. It flagged as fraud and they didn't fucking call or email me, and my first attempt was literally TWO HOURS AGO. great. thanks.

Moral of the story: When I buy bras from the UK it is not fraud. When I want to buy a UK rail ticket (which is way cheaper, mind you) - it is fraud.

alastairgott

Bras are better than trains. Sorry i mean fraud people care less about bras than trains, as they want women to be able to burn their bras.

Really confused! Trains vs Bras?

Graigwen

alastairgott said:
Bras are better than trains. Sorry i mean fraud people care less about bras than trains, as they want women to be able to burn their bras.

Cavers were present at the first ever feminist bra burning in 1968.

martinb

Amy,

You will normally find that ANY Uk rail company website will book tickets for ANY other Train Operating Company. For instance, recently, I had to get from Poole to Chesterfield via Birmingham. I used East Midlands Trains to book tickets with South West Trains, Chiltern Trains, Cross Country and London Midland Trains! Not even a journey with the sites rail company! All sites HAVE to charge the same, but 3rd party sites such as the train line will charge a fee. But not all TOC's give you the option to print a ticket at home, although you can specify a station to pick the ticket up from BUT you must use the same Debit/credit card to do so.

Amy

alastairgott said:

Haha i mean this exact same card I was using I have purchased from Bravissimo many times, over the last four years...hundreds of dollars worth. Never was rejected once. Try to purchase a $40 train ticket, and that is just the worst fraud ever! (also i have used it overseas other countries plenty of times, never trouble!)

Turns out - it was ALSO the card company, AND GWR site programming, so it still didn't work after my bank fixed the block. So, six hours later, FINALLY purchased the damn $40 ticket. Just have to print it at the station. Worst. Experience. Ever. I just hope I got all the travel mess and fuss out of the way now so the actual travel is smooth! :D

andrewmcleod

The old East Coast website (now rebranded as Virgin, previously GNER?) is pretty good, and I think is still the only site that lets you book bikes on trains (where that is possible/required).

tamarmole

Amy said:
alastairgott said:

Haha i mean this exact same card I was using I have purchased from Bravissimo many times, over the last four years...hundreds of dollars worth. Never was rejected once. Try to purchase a $40 train ticket, and that is just the worst fraud ever! (also i have used it overseas other countries plenty of times, never trouble!)

Turns out - it was ALSO the card company, AND GWR site programming, so it still didn't work after my bank fixed the block. So, six hours later, FINALLY purchased the damn $40 ticket. Just have to print it at the station. Worst. Experience. Ever. I just hope I got all the travel mess and fuss out of the way now so the actual travel is smooth! :D

Things you need to know about travelling on British trains:

(a)  Do not use the loo.
(b)  Do not buy a pork pie from the buffet.
(c)  If you have an empty seat  next to you a nutter will arrive and tell you his life story.

Enjoy.

It's to do with cookies & popups.  Whichever search engine you are using it is blocking it & may well do for other sites too.

Do check how long the ticket is saved before it has to be picked up.  You don't have to use the machine for pick-up, they will let you collect from the ticket office as long as you have the code & credit card.

When are you coming?

Amy

all it said is the ticket is available 1 hour after purchase, did not have an end time, I would assume that "before the train" is a good end time, considering I will be arriving at the station I need to pick it up from (hopefully) an hour before departure (worse if customs is worse).

First two weeks of August. Already have plans and trips lined up. I know I know, missing Eurospeleo. That's okay, large events and crowds are overwhelming to me anyway. Hidden Earth in 2013 I hid a lot, because whenever I came out everyone knew who I was and I never could even walk one side a room to another without being stopped a half-dozen times! (ok slight exaggeration, but you get the idea). I love ya all, just large crowds are not for me. And not being a big drinker, and not able to drink beer (they could not tell me it was suphite free) so the dancing wasn't my kind of dancing and the drinks nothing I could have sooooo yeah. Went to lectures and checked out the vendors and hid the rest of the time anyway, and I know EuroSpeleo will be larger than a HE! I do plan on sending photos and a map for competition though :)

(a)  Do not use the loo.
- hmm will probably have to, have, and it's really not that bad
(b)  Do not buy a pork pie from the buffet.
- i don't like pork, i typically am sugar-highing on access to proper Cadbury to mess with silly things like pork pie...sugar high all the more important as it will be about 18 hours of travel in total for me, so yup, sugar high to stay awake and not miss switch or stop
(c)  If you have an empty seat  next to you a nutter will arrive and tell you his life story.
- well they are usually interesting, or actually, the empty seats next to me tend to stay empty, only had one nutter experience

(this is my fourth time in the UK, and I traveled by train extensively the last three times  ;) )
(this is simply the first time the booking system has given me any issue!)
-

Spike

Amy said:
- well they are usually interesting, or actually, the empty seats next to me tend to stay empty, only had one nutter experience

If the seat next to you stays empty, you're probably the nutter... Happens to me a lot... :alien:

ianball11

I use National Rail enquiries, then when you go to pay you can choose from pretty much every TOC to go through the booking procedure.

Alex

Unfortunately Amy it likely got blocked due to an algorithm rather than any person. The computer said no in this case. I can presume its logic went something like: Why would an american, who has not booked any flights? want train tickets in the UK.