Free video editing software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteHall

I have recently taken a bit of video footage on my TG4 (this is in .MOV format) and would like to edit it a bit. I'm not planning anything too adventurous, just cutting out and stitching together. Maybe adjusting the volume of certain bits, or adding the odd subtitle. At most, I may like to try adjusting the light balance.

A quick google suggests there is plenty of free video editing software out there, but I'm slightly sceptical of downloading unknown software, froma an unknown source...

Any advice on what free software is any good and won't load my computer with a virus?

Thanks

first-ade

HitFilm express is pretty good to start editing with and should be able to open the files. I must admit though, I don't know about its ability to do colour grading without paying for optional extras.

Davinci resolve is another very good bit of software that does practically everything you could ever want including colour grading, but it can be a bit fussy on the hardware required to run it. It can sometimes have too many settings available, but I find it quite intuitive and it's what I use to edit.

Both are free, but there are many others available which you may find more suitable to your needs.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

ChrisJC

I use OpenShot for my video editing. It takes a bit of understanding, is not what you would call 'polished', but it will do what you need.

Chris.

ZombieCake

Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve is free.  https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk Spent a day the other day on Lynda.com learning about it.  Seems very capable.
As with all video stuff more RAM is good.  I'm using a 5yr old MacBook Pro i5 with 16GB RAM and an upgraded 1TB spinning rust hard drive and seems OK.
8GB RAM is probably OK, 4 can cause issues if you want to use HD or 4K.

PeteHall

I think my old laptop just about meets the minimum OS requirements for OpenShot, so going to give that a try.

No hope on the others suggested above!

snebbit

I'd second DaVinci Resolve. There is easier drag and click software out there, but Resolve really isn't too hard to get the basics, and has all the tools you'd ever need when you do get to wanting more advanced stuff

RobinGriffiths

Careful when upgrading Resolve though. It needs a graphics card with a fair bit of poke. I had to downgrade back to V16 recently cos I've got a rubbish graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.