Imperial line commands?

Moose

Can anyone out there inform me of how to enter imperial distance measurements into survex which aren't complete feet.

i.e. 1 foot 11 inches

graham

AFAIK the only way of dealing with this is to convert to digital feet, so that 1 foot 11 inches becomes 1.92 feet. Not wholly satisfactory, I know.

However, I am willing to bet that most tapes were never read to the nearest inch with a degree of precision better than that achieved by the conversion.  ;)

Moose

Hmmm, that confirms what I thought.

Seeing as you need to go to the effort of converting it into digital feet then you may as well convert them into them meter things instead.

Right, onto the next hurdle..........

graham

Moose said:
Hmmm, that confirms what I thought.

Seeing as you need to go to the effort of converting it into digital feet then you may as well convert them into them meter things instead.

Right, onto the next hurdle..........
Dun't matter either way, providing that the original data is kept intact with a clear statement of what was collected. I've collected data in everything from feet & inches to "steve strides" Survex can cope with just about anything providing you give it an appropriate conversion factor AND the original is in a decimal form, which feet 'n inches ain't.

One cautionary tale is to beware of "Compass" in this regard. I have spent some time converting Compass data to Survex (as it's easier to integrate than using Survex's ability to read Compass files, especially when different people have collected data for different parts of the same cave in different program formats. What you must watch for is the fact that, whether entered as metric or imperial, Compass automatically converts the data to digital feet. Makes some caves look really weird until you work this out.