Has Aggie been connected to Daren Cilau?

David Rose

There are persistent rumours, which I have heard from several sources, that Agen Allwedd has been connected to Daren Cilau - the connection being in the Dweebland area of Daren and the Courtesan area of Aggie.

If so, this is obviously big news, which would create an extremely good - though arduous - through trip. Does anyone know if these stories are true? If so, I think the wider caving world needs to know!

Scrappycaver

David Rose said:
There are persistent rumours, which I have heard from several sources, that Agen Allwedd has been connected to Daren Cilau - the connection being in the Dweebland area of Daren and the Courtesan area of Aggie.

If so, this is obviously big news, which would create an extremely good - though arduous - through trip. Does anyone know if these stories are true? If so, I think the wider caving world needs to know!
Unfortunately digging has just about been made a criminal offence in s.wales david so no one will want to post any new discoveries.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Minion

I heard the rumour back in October, I certainly hope it?s the case.

I?ve been meaning to go and have a look, but the marmite mine is running a little dry. Will have to restock.

Rhys

Scrappycaver said:
David Rose said:

Unfortunately digging has just about been made a criminal offence in s.wales david so no one will want to post any new discoveries.

Really?!

Trig Gledhill

Scrappycaver said:
David Rose said:

Another fake profile.

Good work [emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Trig Gledhill

David Rose said:
Why a jar of marmite, Trig?
Because you wouldn't want jam on such a long trip [emoji38]

I'm only putting my 2 cents in but yes I had heard rumours last autumn  it had been connected and the usual "it's all under wraps though"

I just think a trip down there is needed....maybe starting from the Daren Cilau end 🤣

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

David Rose

How long do you reckon it would take (not moving too swiftly) to get the Daren end of the supposed connection?

Duncan Price

David Rose said:
How long do you reckon it would take (not moving too swiftly) to get the Daren end of the supposed connection?

6-8 hours to the Daren end. 3-4 to the Aggy side. Allow 12 hours for the through trip with the critical point being the potential of Borrowed Boots streamway to sump in high water.

Duncan Price

It will be news to me.  The times I quoted have been bandied about in the past as reasonable for fit cavers who know the way.  A good candidate for a connection has been Avalanche Aven in Aggy (go past the Courtesan into Broadside and then south and off to the east) to Dweebland.  If the rumours are true I look forward to doing the through trip twice (once in each direction - not on the same trip!) and then giving up caving...

caving_fox

MJenkinson said:
I am not really "up" on South Wales but is this not like massive news????

They've been known to be very close on the survey for a long time. I had thought a deliberate decision had been made by digging teams not to connect them - minimising traffic to otherwise obscure and delicate parts of the systems. Obviously (if true) someone(s) have decided otherwise.

Frog2

According to UK Caves database -

Agen Allwedd                      - 32.8km
Ogof Daren Cilau System      - 28.0km

So combined over 60.8kmm, in theory putting it 3rd overall in the UK.

Surely something to be proud about - not consigned to the vacuum!

Given the various challenges what is the realistic true footfall for a through trip?

ChrisJC

Given how hard / long / arduous it is to get into the far reaches of Daren Cilau, I can't imagine a through trip being heavily trafficked.

Chris.

John S

caving_fox said:
They've been known to be very close on the survey for a long time. I had thought a deliberate decision had been made by digging teams not to connect them - minimising traffic to otherwise obscure and delicate parts of the systems. Obviously (if true) someone(s) have decided otherwise.

Not really a deliberate action, its just a long way to go digging, a good two hours from the Restaurant. With other closer digs likely to yield more passage. The Aggy side has been dug quite hard at various times at quite a number of locations.

As to the rumour, Its been around for a while this weekend we had a quick think.

On the Daren side, the Hard Rock camps have all been doing other stuff , but there was an extra camp near new year but we doubt they would have gone that far.

In Aggy, we looked through the logbook at the entrance this Saturday.
The last trip down to Iles was a solo trip (if you are reading this, then what did you do?)
The previous 2 or 3 trips were to see the Courtesan, varying up to about 12 hours.
In October there was a trip to Broadside, that's the section beyond the Courtesan.
No regular trips logged, so its either quite some time ago, or they aren't logging in, or its not happened.

Huge

One rumour had it that you were one of the people involved John S?

Can't remeber where I heared that now.

John S said:
The last trip down to Iles was a solo trip (if you are reading this, then what did you do?)
If you're referring to my trip on the 15th December, sadly I have to say there was no accidental solo breakthrough, merely visiting the Courtesan and having a look around.

Whilst it might be possible to pull the wool over people's eyes for a while, I'm sure something of this importance wouldn't/couldn't be kept unpublicised forever.