Therion Training Course

The BCRA Cave Surveying Group are running an intermediate Therion training course in November.
The attached flyer has the details.

wl

Have added flyer, hope it's clear enough. Thanks to MarkS for (once again!) converting a PDF to a jpeg for me :), Pegasus :)       ​

Attachments

• CSG Therion Training.pdf
    143.6 KB · Views: 177

wookey

The flyer is not visible if you are not logged in, so here's most of the info from it: (having to log in to read the internet is wrong and bad, especially for something like this).

Where and when:
The course will be held at the British Caving Library at Glutton Bridge over the weekend of the 10th - 11th of November. The venue was chosen for its central location and it has the added benefit of being a very interesting place absolutely crammed with some of the very things we want to produce with the software.

Accommodation has been arranged at the nearby Orpheus Caving Club cottage.
Normal cottage fees will apply.

What and who:
The scope of this training course is to improve the skills of people who, ideally as a minimum have attended a CSG Paperless Surveying training course or are currently using Therion for their mapping projects.

The course is not aimed at people new to Therion. Attendees must have a working knowledge of the software for everybody to get the most out of the weekend.

Underground sessions are not planned as this is primarily a software training course.

Curriculum:

We shall cover things such as: -
Project hierarchy and management, pros and cons of different methods
How to manage and plan your surveying in more complicated caves to get the best out of Therion
survey/endsurvey centreline/endcenterline, what does it all mean.
Index files and Joining maps together
Extended and projected elevation best practice
Config files
Layout files, how to use, what you can do
The use of flags and other instructions
How to handle surface surveys
Locating cross sections on main index maps
Surface overlays
How to make our Loch models look better

JoW

Are there any plans to run the basic paperless surveying course this winter? I'd like to learn more but I'm not experienced enough for this version.

andrew

The deal with the introduction to paperless surveying is that if someone organises the advertising, venue, date, people, in other words the admin, the BCRA Cave Surveying group will deliver the course. Currently we have been using Pocket Topo and Therion, but as people on other treads have mentioned, the pdas are getting harder to find and are at end of life (probably many years past) I personally am moving on to Sexy Topo having not got on with Topodroid when I tried it a few years back. Therefore if nothing changes my mind the default for training will probably become Sexytopo. That said we have a wide knowledge and training on anything can be considered. If anyone is interested in courses, email (preferred [ secretary  cavesurveying.org.uk] ) or PM (might take a while as I only look at ukcaving when I get a topic notification)

Anyone who wants to help or just generally join in to promote/improve surveying is always most welcome to contact me, we do not have a formal membership, really just a group of people willing to do things and share it with each other.

thanks

Andrew

wookey

JoW, so in other words: No, there is not currently another paperless training course scheduled, but there is quite likely to be some training at CHECC events this year, and anyone is welcome to contact us about picking some dates and a venue and running a course.

JoW

Thanks :) I had a chat with people at hidden earth and there's plans to run one in south Wales and one in Yorkshire hopefully which I'm going to help out with coordinating and advertising
wookey said:
JoW, so in other words: No, there is not currently another paperless training course scheduled, but there is quite likely to be some training at CHECC events this year, and anyone is welcome to contact us about picking some dates and a venue and running a course.

Goydenman

Good idea to just focus on one piece of survey software, in this case Therion....help people work through problems

Bratchley

andrew said:
The deal with the introduction to paperless surveying is that if someone organises the advertising, venue, date, people, in other words the admin, the BCRA Cave Surveying group will deliver the course. Currently we have been using Pocket Topo and Therion, but as people on other treads have mentioned, the pdas are getting harder to find and are at end of life (probably many years past) I personally am moving on to Sexy Topo having not got on with Topodroid when I tried it a few years back. Therefore if nothing changes my mind the default for training will probably become Sexytopo. That said we have a wide knowledge and training on anything can be considered. If anyone is interested in courses, email (preferred [ secretary  cavesurveying.org.uk] ) or PM (might take a while as I only look at ukcaving when I get a topic notification)

Anyone who wants to help or just generally join in to promote/improve surveying is always most welcome to contact me, we do not have a formal membership, really just a group of people willing to do things and share it with each other.

thanks

Andrew

I'll be in touch shortly re: CHECC 2018. :)

Josh

Just over two weeks to go now!

There are still a couple of places left to fill, so if you have experience of Therion and want to progress and learn more then this course is for you.

Details below.

Attachments

• CSG Therion Training.jpg
    CSG Therion Training.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 200
Oops, I forgot to post this several weeks ago.  :-[

REPORT FROM THE CSG THERION TRAINING WEEKEND

A Therion training course was held at the British Caving Library over the weekend of the 10/11th November and was attended by 8 people.
The aim of the course was to help users of the software to get a better understanding of how it works and what can be done.
Some of the things dealt with were the import of files such as .3d and Topodroid output. Several people have started to build projects using older survex data as well as more recent ?paperless? PocketTopo and Topodroid surveys, a lot of assistance was given to help people with the difficulties encountered.
It was also noted that there is a bug in Therion that affected the scaling of jpeg/gif/png sketch imports.
Project hierarchy was discussed, and emphasis was put on this as an important stage to get right due to the complexities that can occur when a project starts to grow.
Configuration files layouts were dealt with at length with various options demonstrated.
Andrew and Wookey delved into and then educated us mortals into the ways of MetaPost programming and produced a new boulder symbol. Hopefully, this will spark interest from people as we all agreed there are a couple of gaps in the symbol library that need filling.
Attendees were encouraged to get their data into the BCA Cave Registry Data Archive and a brief explanation of how this works was given.
All in all, it was a good weekend probably made better by everybody being at a similar level of learning.
I would expect that similar a course will be run next year.