Caving or shopping on Christmas Eve

adamski555

Over the last 15 years i have enjoyed a few caving trips on christmas eve,certainly beats shopping last minute.Is any on else getting underground before the chaos starts on the 25th.

Big Jim

Yep, and Xmas day and boxing day with a bunch of like minded athiests. Baby Jesus my arse :ras:

J

Piglet

wormster said:
BALLOKS to it all happy beltaine to you all
:mad:

I agree with the sentiment.  (y)  Bah humbug and all that stuff.  :tease:  My friends and I get together to celebrate the winter solstice and the fact that the nights are once again going to start getting shorter.  :clap:

PS I think Beltane's the night of 30 April.

A

andymorgan

I'll be caving on Christmas Eve as usual, although in the Mendips!

Pitlamp

If you want to disassociate yourself with what Christmas is actually about then no doubt you'll go the whole hog and not actually take the Christmas holidays off work. So then you'll not be able to go potholing on Christmas Day at all!

Well, you can't have it both ways can you?

graham

Pitlamp said:
If you want to disassociate yourself with what Christmas is actually about then no doubt you'll go the whole hog and not actually take the Christmas holidays off work. So then you'll not be able to go potholing on Christmas Day at all!

Well, you can't have it both ways can you?

:LOL: :LOL:

paul

In pre-Christianity times, the Winter Solstice was celebrated. The Christian Church decided on this time as a good date to celebrate the Birth of Jesus, as the dat is not actually known, in order to woo Pagans to the Christian Faith as they also did with Easter, etc.

So, you could be taking off the time from work as part of a Winter Solstice celebration which is marked as Xmas Holiday on your timesheet or whatever - and go caving! :)

Peter Burgess

Which do you think is the better way to celebrate the birth of Jesus? To stay at home, eating and drinking to excess, watch nonsense on the tellie, watch the carols from Kings College as a token gesture to religious observance, or, to go out and relax, enjoy a good healthy caving trip and wonder at the marvels of God's creation, assuming you are that way inclined?

JJ

Well some of us from CRO, UWFRA, COMRU & Kendal MRT got into serious do do's last Christmas for missing the family gathering when the turkey had just arrived on the table etc.

The ramifications of the same thing happening this Christmas are just not worth thinking about. So for JC's dads sake please take care and have a good trip.

Elaine

Peter Burgess said:
Which do you think is the better way to celebrate the birth of Jesus? To stay at home, eating and drinking to excess, watch nonsense on the tellie, watch the carols from Kings College as a token gesture to religious observance, or, to go out and relax, enjoy a good healthy caving trip and wonder at the marvels of God's creation, assuming you are that way inclined?

Good point - now how can I word that so that those at home, who are expecting me to cook them Christmas dinner, can understand!

Peter Burgess

Peter Burgess said:
Give them Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve which is a day many countries hold more sacred than Christmas day.
You could then wrap the leftovers in a bit of foil and take some underground in your helmet the next day.

graham

Anne said:
Peter Burgess said:

Good point - now how can I word that so that those at home, who are expecting me to cook them Christmas dinner, can understand!

Just tell 'em that din dins is hidden just the other side of the Templeton digging face.

Cavedrone

If the snow is like it was today on Ingleborough I will be either at home
like this  :coffee: or in th pub like that  :beer: but certainly not looking for Jean Pot.