Recommendations for a caving club in Yorkshire

Andrew W

After an absence of a few years I'm looking to get back into caving. I'm currently based in Yorkshire in the Ilkley area. Ideally I'm looking for a club with a decent number of members of a similar age group (I'm 31).

Anybody got any good recommendations?

Thanks.

cave junky

Were always looking to recruit new members in the Bradford PC. Our web address is www.bpc-cave.org.uk there aren't too many trips going on at the moment due to summer expedition but things will kick off again in September.
Ally

Les W

I can't really argue about the pub. :beer:

Have you seen the web site
http://helwithbridge.co.uk/ I wouldn't mind spending the night with the "unknown customer"    :kiss2: :bow: :hug:

For all you physicists out there - the best example of "simple harmonic motion" I've seen for some time ;) ;)

Les W said:
I can't really argue about the pub. :beer:

Have you seen the web site
http://helwithbridge.co.uk/ I wouldn't mind spending the night with the "unknown customer"    :kiss2: :bow: :hug:

For all you physicists out there - the best example of "simple harmonic motion" I've seen for some time ;) ;)

I think those things are anti-gravity.  They [the twins] are certainly a remedy for the thread on dwindling numbers of cavers out there!  http://helwithbridge.co.uk/files/thumbs/qm1.jpg

Dorty Owd Mayn

CN.

L

Limestone_Cowboy

I can reccomend the Red Rose Cave and Pothole Club, its website is at www.rrcpc.org.uk. We have a delightfull little hut and are in the process of major redevelpoment. Admitedly we don't have a pub next door but there are always plenty of beers in the cellar and sometimes a barrel or two. But we are located right next to the BIGGEST cave system in Britain. 8)

Les W

Ah yes, the biggest at the moment.
But you don't have the largest chamber as this is on Mendip as has been proved in other threads ;) ;) ;) ;)

Andrew W

Thanks all for the suggestions. Does anybody have any opinion on the Craven Pothole Club? That's another that I'm thinking about.

Thanks

Les W

I'm duty bound to mention the Craven as they are Kindred club to the Wessex. A fine bunch they are, welcoming and friendly. They have a reasonable cottage in Horton but I dont stay there very often as I prefer the NPC cottage, Greenclose.

I am also of the opinion that the New Inn in Clapham is better than the two pubs in Horton so that swings it for me.

I would add that each club has its own unique character and the best thing you can do is to try a weekend at each as a guest and see which one you like the best ;)

Billy Butcombe

If you join both CPC and BPC you can virtually guarantee to get absolutly blathered drunk at least twice a year when you are being a lacky at GG and do loads of caving at the same time :clap:

Dave Haigh, when President of the BPC, described the Craven as "the most illustrious caving club". And it wasn't followed by "at the other end of Horton" or anything like that.

If you live in Ilkley, you'll have some CPC members for neighbours, together with the Bat Professor.

What's a lackey - a footman, a man-servant, an obsequious person, a parasite - I've not noticed any like that at GG, just folk having a good time - but I may be biased.

www.cravenpotholeclub.org