Surveying issues

cap n chris

Are there any surveying issues regarding volcanic systems, ie magnetic anomalies, which needs be taken into account by budding surveyors?

Les W

I believe there are issues but that a fairly accurate magnetic survey can be obtained by taking fore and back sights and by staying in the middle of the passage (e.g. not near the walls). Ed W will tell you exactly how accurate the surveying can be as he has done quite accurate magnetic surveys in Iceland.

Multi entrance tubes or braided tubes will give opportunities to check the accuracy by a surface survey between entrances or around loops to check misclosure

I would guess that for real critical surveys then a theodolite survey is your best bet.

cap n chris

Thank you, Ed; very comprehensive - haven't read it all yet but shall do over the Chrimbley break when I'm not underground!

cap n chris

Did my first lava tube surveying today; we used a Disto and SAP combination and logged about 400m, yet to compile, in a maze-system.

graham

cap 'n chris said:
Did my first lava tube surveying today; we used a Disto and SAP combination and logged about 400m, yet to compile, in a maze-system.

Be interested to see the results  (y)

cap n chris

er,...not that interesting, sadly; the side passages are omitted on this route to our pre-planned objective, but a result nonetheless.