swildons barn

Smiley Alan

i know its good  to have a faclity like teh barn for changing  but its a mess .

can cscc make it less  like a bombs gone off in their ?

Bump

Not sure what you mean by a mess in the barn. If you are talking about the rubbish then it is up to individual cavers and their groups to take rubbish out with them.

CSCC are not and should not be responsible for the cleaning of this barn

:mad:

PaulW

your a caver, i'm a caver, cavers are the ones that use the barn, cavers are the ones that make a mess, why should it be down to the cscc clear it up

I know cavers have done clear ups there before  (y)

Peter Burgess

If only 10 percent of cavers are responsible for making a mess, then if only 10 percent take it upon themselves to take a bit of rubbish away then the place will stay tidy. It is quite simple really. You don't have to take ALL the rubbish away, just some of it. It works if enough cavers are prepared to do something for their fellows. Just do it.

ditzy 24//7

1238.jpg

cap n chris

I was there today.....

14646605245_36aba28d0f_z.jpg

Looks pretty pristine to me. I don't think Alan has visited (m)any Mendip Caving Clubs and therefore has a skewed idea of what constitutes "looking like a bomb's gone off".

bograt

Cap'n Chris said:
I was there today.....

14646605245_36aba28d0f_z.jpg

Looks pretty pristine to me. I don't think Alan has visited (m)any Mendip Caving Clubs and therefore has a skewed idea of what constitutes "looking like a bomb's gone off".

Hmm, if I was houseproud, I would say it could do with a sweeping brush, but then I'm a caver, and it doesn't look like much of a bomb has gone off !! :LOL: :LOL:

KevinR

I and others removed 6 or 7 bags of rubbish/dirt from there, some 2 years ago and put up a few signs asking cavers to take their rubbish home with them...

Peter Burgess

That worked then  :LOL: But seriously, if just a few more simply took half a bag away from time to time, the place would generally look much better, which might mean more people keep it looking nice. If a place ends up resembling a dump, it will be treated like a dump.

AndyR

After not visiting swildons or the barn for a year I went last night.  It had definitely gone down hill since my last visit with no light switch and the pigeons have got in and messed everywhere again.  I had a good look and perhaps I missed the light switch, but where it used to be is a jumble of wires and insulation tape.
After the trip we changed by the cars as it was pointless to even try and use the "facilities".  I don't expect much but surely your ?1 fee might cover a bit of lighting and keeping it pigeon proof?  And yes cavers should clear up their own litter.

martinr

AndyR said:
After not visiting swildons or the barn for a year I went last night.  It had definitely gone down hill since my last visit with no light switch and the pigeons have got in and messed everywhere again.  I had a good look and perhaps I missed the light switch, but where it used to be is a jumble of wires and insulation tape.
After the trip we changed by the cars as it was pointless to even try and use the "facilities".  I don't expect much but surely your ?1 fee might cover a bit of lighting and keeping it pigeon proof?  And yes cavers should clear up their own litter.

Isn't the ?1 a trespass fee for crossing private land?

bagpuss

martinr said:
AndyR said:

Isn't the ?1 a trespass fee for crossing private land?

That was my impression to. I feel lucky to have somewhere warm and dry to change compared to the usual road lay by etc which is the case for most trips. I've not been to Swildons for months but will made sure I take a black sack next time I'm there.

tamarmole

AndyR said:

If it upsets you that much why not stop whinging  and do something constructiive about it.

bagpuss

Took away all the rubbish today, and gave it a good sweep. Would have done a better sweeping job if  my broom was a bit better. Had a good oversuit clean round a very empty Swildons as our reward :)

cap n chris

bagpuss said:
Took away all the rubbish today, and gave it a good sweep. Would have done a better sweeping job if  my broom was a bit better. Had a good oversuit clean round a very empty Swildons as our reward :)

You should get a medal;  or at least a mention in dispatches.  :)