Pocket Topo/DistoX/Survey Drawing Software Training - Peaks Sun. 10th April

footleg

As people should already be aware, the weekend of 9-10th April 2011 is the annual Cave Technology Symposium (on the Sat.) in Hulland Ward in the Peak District. The Sunday is traditionally a Cave Surveying Group (CSG) field meeting. This year the intention was to offer training on paperless cave surveying using DistoX instruments with PocketTopo software on a PDA (the underground bit that was covered at last year's event in Yorkshire) and drawing up surveys using software on a computer after the trip.

Having found out about 10 minutes ago that I have been promoted from attendee to training person I thought it would be a good idea to first publicise this event here, and second to ask interested participants what they would be most interested in the training covering. At the recent weekend event run in the Mendips it took 1 day to cover the underground part of the process (half day being shown the kit and software indoors, followed by an afternoon trip to gather some data and get practical experience of the kit), followed by a second complete day learning the basics of the software for drawing up the surveys (using Therion). Since I attended that event I can muddle through the basics of Therion, plus I am more expert in Survex & Tunnel (the UK developed alternative software for drawing up cave surveys). So any of these areas could be covered, but with only a Sunday to do so we cannot cover them all!

So if you are interested in attending then please post here what you would like to learn. If it is only me training people then it will depend on participants bringing their own surveying equipment and laptops if we are going to do a computer training session. Numbers are limited to how many people can realistically gather round a computer monitor and still read the screen. Indoor venue is likely to be the BCRA Library for indoor training, but I plan to be staying at the Orpheus Hut Saturday night. So if the demand is for an underground session then we need to determine a suitable underground venue in that area where we can play. By which I mean 'please recommend a suitable location' as I am not that familiar with the area. In fact GPS location of the Orpheus Hut would be helpful if I am to find my way there in the first place!

Mr Mike

I've asked and I would be up for this, however its my wife's 40th that weekend. Ahhhhhhh. Is the date set in concrete?

footleg

Unfortunately yes, the date cannot be moved. My opportunities to get away from the kids/baby are very limited, and as I am already going to be there for this weekend I am able to do it then.

Allan

As the person who is booking the accommodation at the Orpheus, I would be grateful if those attending and wishing to stay could contact me please so I have an idea of numbers.
tech-sym@bcra.org.uk

paul

footleg said:
So if the demand is for an underground session then we need to determine a suitable underground venue in that area where we can play. By which I mean 'please recommend a suitable location' as I am not that familiar with the area.

Monyash (Knotlow Cavern, Hillocks/Whalf Mine) might be worth considering as it is only a few minutes drive away from the Orpheus hut.

footleg said:
In fact GPS location of the Orpheus Hut would be helpful if I am to find my way there in the first place!

Instructions on locating the hut are normally sent with booking details.

footleg

paul said:

As you can read above, a group booking has been arranged for the cave technology symposium, so I am not the booker and hence am still none the wiser where I am going. (Well I now know it is somewhere in the Monyash area  ;) ).

paul

footleg said:
paul said:

As you can read above, a group booking has been arranged for the cave technology symposium, so I am not the booker and hence am still none the wiser where I am going. (Well I now know it is somewhere in the Monyash area  ;) ).

Of course normally one would expect the person who makes the booking to pass on the information... But anyway, I've sent you a PM on instructions,

footleg

I've not heard directly from anyone that they are looking for surveying or software training this Sunday. So if you are planning on turning up please send me a PM or post here letting me know what you are interested in. Otherwise I am staying at the Orpheus Hut for the weekend and any plans for the Sunday will be made on Sunday morning at the hut.

Duncan Price

graham said:
Duncan Price said:
I'd like another Mendip one to remind me of all the stuff I forgot.

I just talk to Andrew on Skype.

Had lessons from John Stevens - can possibly do more than Andrew ;-)

Will revise lecture course on u/w surveying to include stuff I've learned.