2009 CDG Training Camp, Derbyshire

christine

Below are details of this year's CDG Training Camp, all members Qualified and trainees are invited/encouraged to attend. Prospective members are also welcome to have a look-see at what sort of things we get up to. If you are interested in coming along but are not a member, please contact either me or JT (details below) in the first instance.

Hi All
Now that we've all recovered from the AGM/Dinner - and everyone should have their newsletters and flyers by now, I thought I'd start a thread giving details for the Training Camp. If anybody has any queries following this thread, please contact me : christine_grosart at yahoo dot co dot uk or 07815 316681
Or John Taylor : jtaylor at uk dot tiauto dot com

DATE :
Friday 12th June - Sunday 14th June

We will be based at the Orpheus Caving Club. Directions are on the flyer. For more detailed directions and a map, please email me and I will send you a copy. The postcode is unhelpful, so do not attempt to rely on your sat navs !!!

ACCOMMODATION :

There are 30 bunks for our use at the Orpheus - Friday and Saturday night - first come first served basis. ?5.00 per head per night for either bunk or camping. If you would like a bunk, please drop your name/s to either me or John. There is space at the Orpheus for 5-6 small-ish tents on the lawn. After that, other alternatives are :

Camping, bunkrooms and B&B
http://www.bulliththorn.co.uk/menu.htm
http://www.peakpub.co.uk/camping
http://www.thejugandglass.co.uk/

(These are much closer than the suggestions on the flyers and the 'Bulli' th' Thorn' and the 'Royal Oak' are walkable/cycleable from the Orpheus)

PROGRAMME :

The Training sessions kick off at 9am Saturday morning. It is therefore advised that if possible, you aim to arrive the Friday night. If you think you will arrive after 9am on the Saturday, please go straight to the Orpheus where you will be told what is going on !
Theory/underground sessions will take place in the mornings and diving activities in the afternoons. The flyer outlines the sessions. For the full programme, please drop me an email and I will send you a copy. We have the use of Buxton Pool for 2 hours the Saturday afternoon. Various training sessions will be laid on in the pool and there will be something for everyone, trainee and QD alike.
Holme Bank will also be booked for the weekend along with the use of Bagshawe Cavern on both days.

FOOD & BEER

A BBQ will be laid on for the Saturday evening along with a Barrell, courtesy of the Derbyshire Section. Food is available including vegetarian options - there will be no charge for this, though donations are welcomed. If you think you can contribute to the BBQ in any way, please bring along whatever you like. Puddings especially welcomed as we are not catering for that........
If you don't like beer (yeah right) then please bring your own booze/wine/gin etc. If you don't drink, you will need to provide your own soft drinks.

GEAR & GAS

It is unlikely that we will have a compressor on site and gas fills may be a problem. Thus, it is advised that you bring enough gas with you for the whole weekend. As a suggestion, each section with attendees may like to consider bringing along their section cylinders to help out their members who have a limited stash. I would ask if people are able, to please bring any spare, full cylinders along to help out where they can. Smaller cylinders are advisable for the pool - larger ones for Holme Bank etc.

POOL :

The pool session will have various aspects - Rescue, hopefully involving the use of the new full face masks and stretchers. Training - an underwater assault course giving everyone opportunities to hone their skills and practice elements required for CDG tests. Qualified divers are invited to come along and assist trainees with this.
Rebreather/Twinset/Scooter workshop where you can play with any of the above til your heart's content.
There will be a small fee (about ?4.00) in order to use this facility. Most of the cost has been covered by the DS, but a donation on the day will be required.
There will be a bouncer on the door and anyone attempting to get in with muddy wetsuits, muddy gear or anything with mud on it - will be sent away again !
CLEAN T-Shirts/cozzies etc ONLY and diving gear will be checked for cleanliness on entry to the pool. If you need to wear boots in order to make your fins fit, these need to be clean too. Muddying the pool may result in a fine.

John Taylor, with help from others, will be running an opposite session at Bagshawe Cavern, involving line laying, line surveying and transporting diving gear through a cave, including pitch hauling. They will then go on to Holme Bank in the afternoon.

Clive Westlake will also be doing a slideshow and talk the Saturday evening, a session on First Aid is being arranged, a 'What If' session, 'Technical & Team diving' presentation....There won't be much time to get bored !!
I've booked the weather as well and it is going to be lovely, balmy BBQ weather !

I will update this thread if I need to. A couple of notes :
Parking at the Orpheus is Ok, but if people are able to car share, it would make life a little easier.
Make sure you have your own food for breakfast and lunch - we are not providing this.
There is an award winning cafe in Monyash, called the 'Old Smithy' - They don't open til 9am but if a group were to book a breakfast and mention that they are staying at the Orpheus, they may open an hour earlier for you. Their number is : 01629 814510/ 810190

The Orpheus has good but limited cooking facilities - In due course we will consider maybe doing a group meal/curry or something on the Friday night to save squabbling over the pots and pans. Another option is to book a large table somewhere.....I'll speak to JT (top chef) about this and post on here in due course.

Chris (why do I always volunteer?) Grosart

SamT

Johnny asked me to post this up ...

3543251743_cc1593e582_b.jpg

3543252299_a6635e8fec_b.jpg

christine

Thanks Sam. Just a quick note, Group 1 on the Sunday should be Group 2 and vica versa. Obviously people will not be expected to repeat the same day !  My mistake entirely :sneaky:
Cheers
Chris

j4nny

i am coming up from down south for the weekend attending the CDG event, I'll be kipping at TSG sunday night and driving back Monday - so if anyone is about for a few beers in the evening on sunday in / near Castleton let me know.  :beer:

Big Jim

Jenny, I may be able to join you after work on sunday for a few as ill be off next two days.  Its a lonely place at the TSG with no one around - its not all orgies n parties.. I spent Monday night there with Jimmy Cranky, sorry, Martyn Grayson, and it was very quiet.

J

Johnny

There will be a 'show and tell' element to the morning sessions on Saturday and Sunday to share info on equipment/techniques; as Dave says "to exchange ideas and provoke thought".

So please bring your kit along; I am thinking particularly of any inovations or modifications that you have made to your equipment to suit whatever project you have been tackling.

Should be a great weekend!
See you there.

j4nny

Big Jim said:
Jenny, I may be able to join you after work on sunday for a few as ill be off next two days.  Its a lonely place at the TSG with no one around - its not all orgies n parties.. I spent Monday night there with Jimmy Cranky, sorry, Martyn Grayson, and it was very quiet.

J

.....think i'm still hung over!

christine

The CDG board would be great - except we can't  :thumbsdown:
So I spose here is as good a place as any.....I'll ask Russell if I can nick some of his and post them up - they are quite good !!

Johnny

Taping the beer Ooops! Still the wooden spoon worked ;)
3636038904_02de68410a.jpg

Casting Lead...
3636013592_dd95c4d0e3.jpg

The Daddy!
3636013620_e5ebe8d625.jpg

The Tap Belay
3636013596_ba59c27508.jpg

The Pile
3636013604_b848997e65.jpg

Invading Buxton Baths
3636013622_e4904592f2.jpg

Line Laying Workshop