Digs before the Big Push in March

Goydenman

DIGGING BEFORE MARCH - big plans small team!!  :doubt:
In readiness for the Big Push -Nidderdale we plan to dig the following if time manpower and weather permits.

1. Start dig to open surface access to the Caravan trail (large section of dry passage between New Goyden sump 2 and 3 with passages close to dry passage between sump 4 and 5)

2. Seek ways to get diggers through Goyden sump 2 so rope can be installed in the roof of Goyden 3 in readiness to dig the roof tube

3. Re-dig Guscott choke by starting again with large trench in floor - in readiness for better push of stream likely to intersect passages between Goyden pot and Frog pot

4. Open way into Abundant Life cave (old resurgence for Low Eglin's?)

5. Divert stream away from Frog pot to avoid rocks being undermined in the cave and provide less uncomfortable access

6. Sort out easier/safer way through Frog pot Shackelton choke and 30m sump/duck. Enabling better access to North choke dig to link with Guscott pot and dig (dead dog dig) to bypass Goyden 6 sump.

7. Enlarge last 2ft tight section of Dry Wath bedding link - provide more accessible through trip and good exit after digging in Frog pot

8. Sort out lid for Guscott pot to prevent large volume of gravel that at present is being washed into the system as well as tidy safe entrance

This will ensure we have plenty of good quality projects for the diggers in March as well as the divers who will be pushing for the last key link Nidd Head to New Goyden (about 2km). A lot of work for our small team so any help welcome.

Excited about likely discoveries in March  :D  for both the diggers and divers who come along

For those who have Facebook keep in touch with progress http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Black-Sheep-Diggers/381281961884165

Goydenman

UPDATE:
Permission now obtained to dig open an entrance to the Caravan Trail (passage between downstream sump 2 and 3 New Goyden). Was hoping the farmer would start us off with his JCB but it is elsewhere at present. May have to dig down as much as 14m to link with 20 aven spotted by divers.
Abundant Life cave entrance opened to reveal 2m deep vadose trench heading west. Unfortunately the passage is too narrow and would require a lot of work to progress - dig abandoned.
Guscott choke dig going well.

jonnyrocketboots

Hello Goydenman,

If you need someone to drive a digger at any point in your project then bear me in mind, I have 20 years experience driving them so would be happy to help out.  If your farmers machine becomes available and he's happy for someone to use it then no problem.  If you need 14 metres excavating have you considered hiring a digger for a weekend?  The amount of man hours digging saved would be incredible and would give your dig quite a good head start I think.  If you think my services are any use to you then we should have a chat. I have tickets for all sizes/types of excavators and plant hire/public liability insurance so it wouldn't be a problem for me to sort a machine out.

I am Lincolnshire based and am involved in a couple of projects up north so I wouldn't be able to get too involved but if you think I may be of use of a weekend or two then Id be glad to help!

Kind Regards

Scott

1) and 2): strap on some tanks and flippers and avoid the pain of digging.

Interested in 6): anything happening mid-December (not necessarily the best time of year in underground Nidderdale)?

Goydenman

psychocrawler said:
1) and 2): strap on some tanks and flippers and avoid the pain of digging.

Interested in 6): anything happening mid-December (not necessarily the best time of year in underground Nidderdale)?

Have plans to do dive through with Russ to Goyden 3 soon (I hope) however don't think I will get the other diggers to come through that way never mind the longer trip through to the Caravan Trail. Digging is never a pain for me  ;).......unless I drop a boulder on my foot

If we get really settled spell which actually is not that unusual in December yes we are up for a trip