Caves not to be missed

J

Jonathan T

With a bit of luck I'll be made redundant at work by the end of the month and I'm not in a hurry to get a new job. So while I'm home wasting my money I'd plan to do more caving.

I need a list of say 10 caves in the UK that should be done by every caver before they die. I live in the Peak so those caves aren't a priority. Any suggestions welcome.

cap n chris

:eek: As far as Mendip goes - I'm presuming you are after classic trips not the nasty and hard to forget ones (hey, perhaps that's a new definition of "classic"?) - the bleedin' obvious includes Swildon's Hole Round Trip and St. Cuthburt's Swallet to Sump 2; since conservation is a consideration nowadays (which it rightly ought to be) it's best to stick to caves and routes which can take traffic although if it was pretties you were after the list would alter - I'm not saying, by inference, that the two caves listed are not pretty - they've some spectacular stuff, spesh Cuthburts. :shock:

bubba

Administrator
Cap'n Chris said:
they've some spectacular stuff, spesh Cuthburts. :shock:

St Cuthburts has some of the most beautiful formations - the huge curtains are amazing.

H

Huw Groucutt

In South Wales:

Darren Cilau - to terminal sump.
Aggy - grand circle.
Dan Yr Ogof - round trip.
Ogof Draenen - to War of the Worlds or Dollimore Series.
Ogof Craig a Ffynnon - Promised Land.
Otter hole - not been there but sounds nice! Meant to be the best decorated cave in Britain.
Ogof Ffynnon Ddu - OFD1 - Top entrance, or Cwm Dwr - Top. Also the route to OFD3 over the traverses and back is a classic.
Ogof Carno - hotel carnophobia.

SamT

Its just that we're in the same boat. :roll:

every cloud has a siver lining eh.

Croesor slate mine trip is a 'classic'
definatley a bit different.

Hows about the Berger.
PSM
Grotte de le diau
Xitu

in europe.

J

Jonathan T

Europe would be nice but the guy I mostly cave with is allergic to foreign travel, he's only just found Yorkshire (hello Stu). The other guy I cave with isn't allowed out by his wife!

I don't know about you Sam but being made redundant is probably the best thing that could have happened to me right now. All I need to do now is find some work I actually enjoy!

J

Jonathan T

SamT said:
Its just that we're in the same boat. :roll:

roesor slate mine trip is a 'classic'
definatley a bit different.

in europe.

I was quite interested until I read this:

NOTE: Croesor Mine is dangerous. You can get killed here. This was emphasised during a cave rescue callout at the beginning of November when two cavers became trapped. Of particular concern was the fall of a garden shed sized boulder. On this occasion no-one was injured, but the mine is in a state of continual decay. Do not enter Croesor (or indeed other old mines) unless as part of an experienced and fully equipped party, and even then be particularly wary. Robin 26th Nov 1997

SamT

:shock:

Nah - we saw this too write up too - its not that bad - there is a write up on this site somewhere by bubba - under wales section I think.

The size of the chambers and the system are phanom.. phenon.... phemon ... err amazing.
A real adventure.
I think it gets a fair few trips these days - the rotting bridges are fully tyrolean 'ed. with metal cables and the way fairly obvious.

Go on -- you know you want too...

bubba

Administrator
The write up is on ukbouldering.com - will mirror it over here sometime.

It's got a dodgy/scarey feel to the place, but as Sam points out, the gnarliest bits have got newish bolts/cables installed, not that they'd save you if a whole bridge decided to head for the water. The hardest bit is actually probably the walk in!

Superb trip - like being in "Tomb Raider" or something.

E

eyecave

i think it depends on what your definition of "top drawer cave trip iz"....me i like the vertical stuff and am rather fond of the combination of water and breathing space.....although, i don't find complete sumps fun,.....indeed, i have been known to cowardly leave the cave!!..............i also don't mean to say i don't appreciate beautiful formations...nor do i consider caverns that are mainly conducive to photography "second class"......i have caving cameras and shoeboxes of slides........ but,....if i were compiliing a list of local caves that were worth visiting i would list vertical caves primarily, wet caves blended in...........

E

eyecave

ellison's (two trips)....fern (two trips)......mystery,.....solution rift.....fowler cove number two......thunder hole........(will's welch well, water well, far go well combination).....mega well.........valhalla.......iz that 9 or 11?,,,,,,,

bubba

Administrator
Presume these are all US caves - is there a big caving scene in the States? Seems to be a lot of divers over there, but US cave diving looks like a different proposition to UK diving.

E

eyecave

i may have inadvertantly misstated my tendencies......i carry equipment for the people who do that sort of cave activity.....(diving)......cave divers ARE nuts......i will descend hundreds of meters in airfilled passage, toting bags of flippers and carefully carrying tanks.....crawl till i puke dragging wetsuits, masks and regulators so that they can do that crazy stuff........BUT I AIN'T GOING INTO THAT WATERFILLLLLLLLLED HOLE!........i agree completely, anytechniquetheyuuuuz iz not4me!!....and, anything the english, french,dutch,spanish,russian, chinese, er anybody else does won't be good enough to tempt me to do anything except be willing to wait and shiver while they get the glory....or worse..... what i like are caves that involve swimming and doing near sumps....or wet multidrop stuff.......i have always felt that horizontal cave wuz to be tolerated to reach the next pit.....but truthfully as i have matured.....i think it, like women, iz all good...... there iz an active cave scene in the you sss......you can do social caving, grotto and national groups functions, rescue, that sort of scene.....club stuff..be a groupie caver...or an outlaw type... the golden age of cave exploration iz long gone.....stuff iz still found and stuff that surprises you that its that good is still dug up and blasted into.....but.....the golden age is gone..... every single cave trip i have gone on this year has had a gathering of cavers as the reason.....last weekends trip was stimulated by my grotto's annual auction....i bought a selflocking biner way to strong for what i nneed and a plate circa 60's-70's for shasta caverns........ the biggest development over here in the last 10 years or so has to have been the idea of cavers pooling their money and purchasing caves!......its gotten to the point to where you can do just about anysort of cave via contacting this guy who represents this club you pay fifteen bucks a year to.....he gives you permission and whatever else to go to these cool caves.....wow....all i wuz after wuz a place to be able to camp each weekend that belonged to cavers!.... ...the concept of group grotto dig projects has not been realized over here yet.....there are hundreds of digs all over TAG......and rare iz the grotto that officially organizes a dig project!.......very rare....its really nutz to me......

cap n chris

All the cave divers I've ever met were the sanest people imaginable - sensible, level-headed, intelligent, serious and above all decent and well-meaning; in the recent hot weather I've been doing a fair bit of underground swimming and started using a mask for Swildon's 1 - the view has been so lovely in the recent crystal waters and the water so warm and inviting that it seems very tempting - after proper training and advice, of course. The idea of cave diving on the edges of technical limits is another matter altogether. Also, there are bound to be at least one or two completely bonkers cave divers somewhere or another. :LOL:

Hammy

Wot no Yorkshire caves on the list so far!!!!!

Hows about Juniper Gulf, or a nice long Easegill traverse (Top Sink to Lancaster say...), or a Lost Johns/Boxhead exchange - and how could you be a caver and not have done a Simpsons or Swinsto pullthru....??...and then theres Gaping Ghyll...oh what fun there is to be had!! :)