Caves of the Peak District Guide

SamT

As we all know - a copy of this is as rare as the perfect lighting solution. :(

There are several questions that are always banded about but never anwered. :roll:

Is it ever going to be reprinted :?:
When will it be updated :?:
If so, who by :?:
If not - what else are we going to do :?:

Johnny

Shaun at Hitch n Hike is trying to adress this problem with his on-line guide.
Brendan is working on the Giants part of this and made some valid points in the Conservation, Conservation Grades thread.

As one of the blokes who was taking a tape measure around Giants I think I should just point out we weren't doing a re-survey. The aim is to put descriptions on the HNH website so those people who don't have a copy of Caves of the Peak District or Classic Caves of the Peak district (which are both out of print) can work out where they are going. There is a link elsewhere on this website discussing the way from the Eating House to to Geology. Thats all the guide is intended to be - not a total idiots guide. I don't intend doing a full description/photo montage/audio visual display - I don't have that much time, I can't be arsed and I would rather go caving for fun.

I personally can't see a problem in writing a brief description which is available to anyone. It's the same as looking in a guide book to get an idea about what a cave is like, and with the guide books out of print it seems a bit harsh to restrict that to those who are lucky enough to have a copy.

SamT

All well and good - quite restrictive in that you have to own a PC and have internet access to get the guide.

Plus - I know shaun's been working on it for quite a while. So far - Peak cavern and half way through giants.

Only 1028 more entries to go then.

I know its a tall order but I think an updated version of Caves of the Peak district needs writing and publishing.

Johnny

Well volunteered that man :LOL:

Is Caves of the Peak District, or the black book as it is known, the only guide for the Peak?
What about the DCA Handbook and the Crewe Rigging Guide?
Would the information that is contained in these guides be added to the new black book?
If so how would this information be updated?
The Crewe guide is re-printed regularly and updates to the DCA handbook are posted to each person who owns a copy.

bubba

Administrator
SamT said:
All well and good - quite restrictive in that you have to own a PC and have internet access to get the guide.
Almost everyone who can afford to buy the kit to go caving either has internet access via work or home and if not, knows somebody else who does, so I don't think that's much of a problem nowdays. The advantage of the web is virtually limitless information for very little cost and entries can be constantly kept up to date with regards to access/dangers/etc.

SamT said:
Plus - I know shaun's been working on it for quite a while. So far - Peak cavern and half way through giants.
And how long would it take to update the whole COTPD ?

SamT said:
I know its a tall order but I think an updated version of Caves of the Peak district needs writing and publishing.
Is it economically viable? Wouldn't John Beck have done it already by now if it was?

bubba

Administrator
Johnny said:
Shaun at Hitch n Hike is trying to adress this problem with his on-line guide.
Does anyone know what format this is likely to be in? Will it have surveys/pics/rigging guides or just be more like a COTPD entry?

bubba

Administrator
Johnny said:
Is Caves of the Peak District, or the black book as it is known, the only guide for the Peak?
And Iain Barker's guide, but that's also out of date, and is a selective guide.

I'm more than happy to host an online project for cave-guides/rigging guides/etc.

paul

From what I've been told the main problem in republishing COPD is getting a publisher! Dalsesman, the previous publisher isn't interested and so far there has been no success in finding a definite alternative

SamT

Cordee might be worth a try - I know that they are expanding - in fact Im going to have a word with my man there tommorrow.

al

I seriously doubt whether COTPD will ever get rewritten and published simply because of the changing priorities in the publishing industry.

Whether this happens or not, I do hope that Shaun perseveres with the web guide. I think what's been done so far is excellent, and I believe that this is a far better medium for on-going guides like caving guides because it means that they can be kept up-to-date without all the expense of republishing. And it means that the caving community could be kept up to date.

I would certainly be prepared to help in any way I can.

One book that I'd like to see republished is Ian Barker's book. This is because I really appreciate his historical notes. Oh, I'm sure that some of these are very biased, but that is the nature of historical notes, and Ian, like the rest of us, is part of the story. The history of cave exploration in the Peak District is fascinating and it would be a shame to lose such a brilliant set of stories.

J

Jonathan T

Alan James at Rockfax has plenty of experience of producing and publishing guides, he may be able to offer some advice about the whole situation.

Brendan

While I would like to see COTPD reprinted (or at least get my own copy of the original) I think it is probably unlikely, certainly in the near future. Despite there being plenty of cavers who would buy it, it is a niche market. The online guide, although ideally as comprehensive as COTPD will probably end up as a more selective guide - unless there are enough people willing to write up all the caves.

As for being unfair to those who don't have a PC - it's considerably more fair than having to have a copy of a book which is out of print. It also allows updates to be made which isn't possible with a book.

One suggestion - publishers interested by retitling the book 'Harry Potter and the Caves of the Peak District' :D

Stu

Brendan said:
- unless there are enough people willing to write up all the caves.

What would be involved? Who would a willing volunteer approach to submit a route?

Brendan

Go to the HnH website - www.hnh.dircon.co.uk/caving.htm and use the email link to email Shaun. Alternatively go in and speak to him.

Stu

Thanks, will do. So is it a coordinated effort or is it down to individual cavers to pick what they want to do?

Brendan

Some systems already have write-ups underway, and others will be done soon. If you ask Shaun I'm sure he will suggest stuff, but equally if you want to do a particular description I can't imagine he will protest. At the minute it is just caves in the Castleton catchment area but hopefully will spread before long.

SamT

Currently there are 4.1 guides to the Peak caves.

Caves of the Peak district. - out of print and rare
Iain Barkers selected guide - nice guide, fairly accurate, but 'selected'
The Crewe Rigging guide - Not exceptionally accurate and lacking in any kind of description/details (especially regarding access)
The DCA handbook erm dont know much about it - give notes on access situations as far as I can tell (should buy one)
HnH Online guide. Not complete yet. May never be comprehensive.

Problem is - one is out of date and unavailable, one is not comprehensive - one is inaccurate and not comprehensive - one is not a 'guide' and the last is not completed yet.

What is needed is something that covers all of the above, is available to everyone and easily updateable.

It cant be that hard can it.

SamT

Well, it's the DCA AGM tomorrow, and I understand that the guide issue is on the agenda.

From what I can glean from those I have spoken to in DCA there is a good deal of enthusiasm for the re-issue of an updated version of COTPD.

John Beck has all the information on file, there are potential publishers out there.

It seems that there just needs to be a catalyst to get the whole thing rolling.

I suggested a Guidebook team - as happens in the BMC. A group of people to work on the project - who meet regularly and are delegated various tasks by someone elected to head up the project.

I for one would volunteer.

Johnny

:saythat: You have done it now Sam T :saythat:
Was at the DCA AGM on Sat, looks like you have got some homework coming your way :wink:

L

lohtse2004

Has any one simply asked if any one would be willing to photocopy sections for those who ask nicely?? I would willing do this if asked.I know it is not the write thing to do but this is an option!!!