US cavers looking for advice

K

karensummers

hey... three friends and i are going to be in the peak district/derbyshire or wales (we're open for suggestion) during March 8,9, and 10th. We were hoping to meet up with cavers from the area - or at least get some cave suggestions. Two of us (the ones planning on caving) are experienced cavers from grotos in the US, but would appreciate any support and would gladly repay the favor. Anyone? - we have our own vertical gear and transportation.
-Karen

paul

You could try contacting Boyd Potts via dca@theDCA.org.uk. Boyd is an active caver in Derbyshire, chairman of Orpheus Caving Club and as he is retired, may be able to point you in the right direction during the weekdays you mentioned.

N

Neil B

karensummers said:
hey... three friends and i are going to be in the peak district/derbyshire or wales (we're open for suggestion) during March 8,9, and 10th.
A little further up North there's also the Yorkshire Dales, the country's largest caving area, with some classic caves: Jingling Pot, Rowten Pot, Alum Pot, Sell Gill Holes, and a lot more. Much of the Yorkshire caving scene revolves around the North Yorkshire village of Ingleton - you'll find Bernie's Cafe & Caving Shop (http://www.berniescafe.co.uk) there, and there's always someone there who'll let you have a look at a guidebook or to grab someone who'll take you on a trip, etc.

SamT

If your in the peak district, the best place to aim for is Castleton. Here you'll find the classics of Peak/speedwell (although 3rd partly liability insurance is needed) Giants and P8(jackpot) super stream ways - Eldon Hole (big vertical open pot). Nettle pot. Oxlow. Bagshawe.

There are also 4 excellent Show Caves with guided tours. Peak cavern (the largest cave entrance roof in UK) where the village of castleton began. Speedwell - an underground boat trip along an old lead mine canal, Treak Cliff Cavern - See the veins of a semi precious gem stone (blue john) that is only found on this hillside plus stunning decoration in the lower caverns and finally Blue John caverns, The same as treak cliff but with more blue john and less pretties.

I usually cave in the week day evenings if you want an for an evening trip. contact me via this site - use PM (private message) feature if you like.

South wales is where all the caving is - unless you fancy huge old slate mines, but they are a bit wild. Having said that - if your in LLanberis at the foot of snowdon mountain - the old Slate Quarries are well worth a wander round on a rainy day.

Hope you enjoy yourselves - :D

bubba

Administrator
I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the very funny Welsh stoner-rappers Goldie Looking Chain, but I could be wrong....

Anyone who likes GLC should also listen to some MC Pitman - he's a northern ex-miner who doesn't like to mince his words - well funny :D

H

Huw Groucutt

bubba said:
I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the very funny Welsh stoner-rappers Goldie Looking Chain,

Wow! well done clart! Didnt know the GLC were known outside South Wales, they are playing live in Sheffield quite soon you could go and see them....

ian mckenzie

karensummers... I assume you and friend know the frog technique and can pass rebelays - many USA cavers solely ropewalk, and can't. If you are amongst them, there are still lots of caves you can do without bringing your ropewalker SRT kit along. By the way, if this is your first UK caving visit, be sure and pick up one or two of the caving guidebooks - they are very helpful, and make a fantastic souvenir.

K

karensummers

thanks for the advice.... yup this is the all of our's first trip. funny you should ask about ropewalker - my friend and i actually usually just frog. granted caving over here is a little different we don't often deal with rebelays, and i admit i might not be the speediest when it comes to them. (we just throw our big ropes down the pits, ha?)
-Karen - we hope to be staying in castleton, so i hope i can thank everyone for all the help if i run into you

ian mckenzie

If it's any consolation, I passed my first knot in England - Juniper Gulf - in 1984; and it is very helpful to be in the company of experienced knot/rebelay-passers if you are a bit unsure of how it's done.

Have a great trip. British caves are different from what you will be used to - and so are the cavers!

Ian McKenzie
Calgary, Canada

SamT

Hi

SamT here - not sure if my PM's are getting through - should have sent you my mobile number. Send us a PM tommorrow if you see this (and haven't received my PM's) and we can sort something out for tommorrow night.

Cheers

Sam

cap n chris

I took up caving many years ago as I was assured it was a "really good way to meet women". Not having met any women yet I am beginning to wonder whether the advice was genuinely meant or whether perhaps I was on the receiving end of a leg-pull.

SamT

Think you were the subject of a wind up. I do find that you can attract attention in the pub, post caving. Usually as a result of the mud in hair/ears/nose/face etc. But its a good opener.

K

karensummers

caving might not be the easiest way to find women - but the ones you find are usually pretty cool (what did you expect me to say?)...
Well i wanted to send out a reply saying thanks to all of you for your help and advice. (especially sam) My firneds and \i had an amazing time in castleton! Giants and Oxlow were caves i won't soon forget. To TGS - stay at the chapel was much appreciated. Hope you all get the chance to come to the states - I'll be happy to take you caving!
-Karen