2009 Big Green Gathering Cancelled

Duncan Price

Maggot said:
...So all our cars should be a lot safer while caving on Mendip this week!  :tease:

The police were parked up about a mile either side of the site off the B3134 this morning...evidently to deter visitors.

estelle

The police were there stopping everyone and asking where they were going when i went home from belfry yesterday evening - fully expected to be finding a different way home when i saw them with a road block in place there, but thankfully when i said i was going home, they just let me through.

Duncan Price

estelle said:
The police were there stopping everyone and asking where they were going when i went home from belfry yesterday evening - fully expected to be finding a different way home when i saw them with a road block in place there, but thankfully when i said i was going home, they just let me through.

Tonight they were parked up just east of the MCG hut and just west of the Castle of Comfort.  They stopped the two vehicles ahead but waved me through possibly because I'd wore a shirt and tie to work.  At the other end of the road block (have they blocked the road up from Cheddar?) they were having a chat to some people in a shabby white transit.

All adds interest to the daily commute - the nackers are still camped at the Mineries.

I would suggest that anyone out and about on that stretch of the road goes easy on the shandy (like you always do) - especially if you are dressed in apres-caving attire and with a Mendip tan. ;)

Hughie

Thanks, Duncan. Just heading of to the "mine" now. Will keep an eye open (mostly going back roads though). Thanks for the warning though.

fi

Allegedly the reason for the cancellation is that the police wanted the best part of 100k to be in attendance - the gathering couldn't afford them.  Now they're up there for nothing turning people away!  :confused:

Burt

On behalf of Andy and Jen, owners of Fernhill farm, I'd like to point out they are very p***d off with the cancellation - which was completeley out of their hands. So please don't point flak at them when the laybys fill up with crusties over the next few days.

owd git

lets all hope the ocifers on duty turning away decent 'green' folk don't miss out on 'overtime' :tease: by missing festival, eh?

ian.p

Im quite convinced the authoritys sabotageded the BGG its precisly the sort of devios method that gets used all the time to squash things that dont conform to the councils tick boxs the organisers probably just didnt give large enough back handers to the right people i s'pect.
Its an atempt to disrupt the planing and coordination of direct action groups simple as that. Theyre a right pain in the arse for the government so i suspect the governments probably taken a great deal of delight in squashing this.
say what you like about crustys and hippys theyre not exactly the quaralsome sort and it would take houres for a group to arive at a consensus about wether or not to punch you if you did manige to piss em of.
im glad it hasnt turned into a battle of the beanfeild situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OOew1UAT3k&feature=PlayList&p=EAA43579DE713E3B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=18

graham

Peter Burgess said:
Out of curiosity, how do you know? Did I miss something?

All contributors to CiF either above or below the line write their own profiles.

FWIW I know absolutely nothing about the BGG and have no axe to grind on the substantive topic either way. I am merely commenting on this one aspect.

Peter Burgess

Tee hee.

There is one UKCaving member who it is almost impossible to get to answer the simplest of questions.

There is another UKCaving member who it is almost impossible to find a question to which he doesn't have an answer.

;)