When you don't know you're a witch.

Graigwen

This is of course complete nonsense, but....as I am suffering withdrawal symptoms not having been digging for a week, my mind turned to what I did the Sunday before last in terms of this young lady's 14 (not 13) points:

3  Stargazing - well I certainly did this on the pre-dawn 240 mile drive in, enlivened by two motorway closures. I had never expected to get from Kent to the Llwyd valley via Cardiff and Crosskeys.

4  Cloudwatching  -  I certainly did this as well, hoping for as little rain as possible as winter winds had finally destroyed our tarpaulin cover at the shaft top.

8  Lighting incense.  I did have a pack of joss sticks with me, but these days we find Magic Smoke more useful as it is neutrally bouyant. We keep a can permanently on site. (Whoops, did I say MAGIC.)

10  Celebrating turning of the seasons  -  when the rain stopped and the sun came out we proclaimed it the first sign of Spring.

11  Working with crystals  -  this is what it is all about. As we get lower the amount of secondary calcite increases, forming maybe ten per cent of the rock. In another context I would be tempted to call it fault breccia. (Specimens were handed round at the BCRA Symposium last year.)  We now have Cwmyniscoy Mudstone fragments incorporated in the lowest dolomite.

12  Creating herbal remedies  -  by coincidence the obscure 1960s psychedelic music playing as the squad was assembled included "Please leave my mind" by the Herbal Mixture.

13  Daydreaming  -  there was certainly a lot of this going on, speculating on where the streamway now entered was going.  400 metres down dip until we intersect large dry fossil passages is my dream.

14  Grounding yourself in nature  -  a lot of nature, in the form of mud, ground itself into us during the day.  It does not matter what colour we start as, we are always completely mid-brown by the end of the day.

So,  .... maybe caving is magical.