Fantastic Caving Region: FOD

cap n chris

Just like to say hi to Greg J, John E & Jan K and other FOD cavers - and to point out to the rest of the world/UK that the Forest has some FANTFLIPPINTASTIC caves - Otter Hole, Miss Graces Lane Cave, Wet Sink/Slaughter Stream Cave for starters.

AndyF

cap 'n chris said:
Just like to say hi to Greg J, John E & Jan K and other FOD cavers - and to point out to the rest of the world/UK that the Forest has some FANTFLIPPINTASTIC caves - Otter Hole, Miss Graces Lane Cave, Wet Sink/Slaughter Stream Cave for starters.

I'd second that Slaughter is one of my favourite caves. Ms Graces I 've heard lots of good things about it.

It's also an area with still huge potential..

There is also the extra sport factor of being gored by wild boar on the way to the caves..

L

Lincolnshire poacher

Only has a quick look round the FOD, mainly at old mines. 'Tis a very good place for the underground arts!.

Sod the wild boar, mate of mine rang me today to say that he had just seen a big cat (Puma or such like) in woods. So not only do we have to contend with being mistaken for poachers and wild boar waiting to goar us, we now have a giant Tiddles!.

AndyF

Lincolnshire poacher said:
Sod the wild boar, mate of mine rang me today to say that he had just seen a big cat (Puma or such like) in woods.

There are no pumas in the forest any more. The wild boars ate them.

cap n chris

.... deep breath.... ANYWAY, as I was saying, I just wanted to say hi to Greg J, John E & Jan K and other FOD cavers - and to thank them for guiding numerous trips in the Forest caves - Otter Hole, Miss Graces Lane Cave and Wet Sink/Slaughter Stream Cave over the last few years. Cheers, chaps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note from Moderator: posts were split from this topic into This One

as they detracted from the sentiment of cap'n chris' original post. Hence the ".....deep breath..." at the start of this post.[/url]

Ship-badger

Thank-you Cap'n Chris. Hope to see you again soon. As we are always predicting, you will soon be able to visit The Dropper master-system (Ha ha, we live in hope).

Ship-badger

Sam T. The water is in the streamway of Su Bentu, a fantastic cave in Sardinia. The water was lovely, crystal clear and almost warm enough to do without a wetsuit (but not quite). Fantastic formations in the streamway, a bolted traverse 50m up in the roof, and a cavern at the end bigger than the Time Machine. I think it is the longest cave in Sardinia. Go there, it's great.

underground

Forest of Dean does indeed sound interesting, does anyone have any info. with regard to campsites, club huts etc. in the area?

Ship-badger

underground said:
Forest of Dean does indeed sound interesting, does anyone have any info. with regard to campsites, club huts etc. in the area?

Underground. There are three large campsites run by an offshoot of Forest Enterprise called Forest Holidays at Christchurch. This is only five minutes drive from Wetsink/Slaughter Stream Cave and Redhouse Swallett. Forest Holidays have their own website, but I know that they are closed in the winter. You can also camp at Symonds Yat, on the riverbank next to a pub, but this site is prone to flooding in the winter. There are no Club huts in the Forest, but there is an excellent bunkhouse in Parkend, attached to the Fountain Inn, ideal for a group of you. http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/hotels/fount.html