Wilderness [caving] Lecture

DickW

Connor will be talking about the international team of cave explorers set out during the spring of 2018  to  tackle a remote cave in Southern Mexico, Cueva Pena Colorada. Due to the logistical complexity of its exploration, this spectacular cave has seen less than a handful of visits since the region started to attract cavers. The team?s primary objective was to place a series of exploration divers in the cave's final sump, something that has not been done since 1984 when the exploration involved Bristol?s Rob Parker, the late founder of the Bristol Climbing Centre. Back then, divers lacked the advanced equipment that is available to us today and with the aid of modern diving equipment and techniques, the team connected this vast cave to the extensive Huautla system on the mountain above. With a 4km gap between the two systems, making the connection between these two magnificent caves was not an easy feat.

Doors open at 7pm, lecture starts at 7.30. Full details here: www.wildernesslectures.com

Benfool said:
They connected Pena Colorada to Sistema Huautla????? I'm pretty sure thats not true!

B

Yeah we did it in the first week, the way on was hidden behind a big rock. Who'd a thought. Just sat around for the rest of the time drinking Pacifico and eating Tacos.

In actuality (as I am sure Benfool is aware) S7 ended in a boulder choke. No connection.

DickW

Thanks for these comments hawkeyes, it should have said made a hydrological connection. They were thwarted by a flood. My mistake, duh!