Attention canyoning [caving] harnesses!

mikem

Unclear how much of this is due to UV (so of less concern to cavers) & how much is due to grit damaging the fibres - but comparative tests with same harnesses used for climbing should make that clearer (chart is for the two harnesses shown).
As studies from France have shown, older canyoning harnesses have an increased safety risk, as the strength of the harness material has decreased significantly through use.
The strength values according to the standard (>15kN) were clearly undercut and in some cases were even below 300dN.
Attached are also photos of two harnesses which I had tested at Mammut according to the standard and which had much too low strength values although they were still in good condition.
Click on the link below for the full report in French on the tests:
https://www.yumpu.com/fr/document/view/63114591/rapport-harnais-canyonv4

88056854_10156073034864649_3896610913247035392_o.jpg

88060544_10156073034749649_2795112115772325888_o.jpg

87983766_10156073034874649_4993371034649362432_o.jpg

Mike Hopley

My French is poor, and the auto-translate is a mess. I've also only skim-read it. But if I'm reading this right:

They have seen 3 breakages in real use.

Tests were performed on harnesses of various ages, from 1 year to 20. Most of the tested harnesses should have been scrapped anyway, due to the amount of visible wear.

The harnesses failed at much lower peak forces than specified in the standard. The sun and / or water have a strong impact on aging. It is recommended to dry the harness after use.

The manufacturers recommend a maximum usage period of 10 years, and a maximum storage period of 5 years. It will very likely be necessary to revise these figures downwards, depending on activity levels.

The practitioners of canyoning are over-confident in their equipment.

mikem

The FB comments are also suggesting that cheaper harnesses may not use such UV resistant material, so although they pass the initial testing, they will not last as long. It certainly supports that they should not be dried in strong sunlight.

Fortunately most caving harnesses use doubled back attachment points, so more material to spread the load, rather than the single loops pictured. (Worryingly, if the attachment is off-centre in these sorts of set up, the material can break at half the load, as it all comes onto one side, rather than both).

Unsurprisingly, there have been few incidents, as most cavers & canyoneers try to avoid shock loading their harnesses, unlike sports climbers - so it may be more of a problem than we think.

Fjell

The actual lesson being to take your own gear on a commercial trip.

If you want to scare yourself a bit I can recommend the long via ferrata on Kota Kinabalu on the ageing harnesses which spend their life sunning themselves all day on the equator. Long way down.

Attachments

• P5180158.jpeg
    P5180158.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 181

JoshW

Fjell said:
The actual lesson being to take your own gear on a commercial trip.

If you want to scare yourself a bit I can recommend the long via ferrata on Kota Kinabalu on the ageing harnesses which spend their life sunning themselves all day on the equator. Long way down.

No commercial venture is likely to allow you to use your own kit (unless you know them personally), as in the case of an incident their insurance would hang them out to dry..

mikem

UIAA have issued a warning:
https://www.theuiaa.org/uiaa/safety-alert-canyoning-harnesses/