Hidden Earth 2011

Wolfart

Thanks Les and Wendy and team,back room staff you all deserve a pat on the back. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Fantastic weekend, already looking forward to next year where ever it is.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Amy

From what I saw on Hat Stand's phone (weeee skype!) it looked cool! Wish I could have been there, ah well maybe next year!

...I'm kinda curious how my photos and artwork did by the way... :-[

Will someone or someones be posting photos from the event? I'd love to see more!

Peter Burgess

I saw your pics, Amy. But the cartoon prize went to one captioned "where cavers go in the winter" or something like that, showing a whole bunch of cavers curled up in a burrow like hibernating dormice.

kay

I saw your cartoons and photos too. The cartoons look much nicer in the flesh than on ukc!

The photo salon is always of really high standard, with a big entry from world class photographers. It's very difficult to get even a merit. But it was interesting to see your pics, which were all displayed in a group and looked good together, and the chap talking about the photos in the final presentation made a special plea for everyone to enter photos, even if you think you have no hope of a prize, because of the enjoyment that everyone gets from looking at them.

kay

Hi Cap'n Chris - nice to meet you in the flesh, and sorry I didn't introduce myself in the general busy-ness and confusion.

Thanks to everyone involved in organising HE for making it a great weekend, and to everyone who went for generally being lovely people

thanks in particular to the person who found my boot  :hug:  it was hidden by Potholer  :-[

Amy

kay said:
I saw your cartoons and photos too. The cartoons look much nicer in the flesh than on ukc!

The photo salon is always of really high standard, with a big entry from world class photographers. It's very difficult to get even a merit. But it was interesting to see your pics, which were all displayed in a group and looked good together, and the chap talking about the photos in the final presentation made a special plea for everyone to enter photos, even if you think you have no hope of a prize, because of the enjoyment that everyone gets from looking at them.
Yes, it is the same here in the US. Someone suggested I should have entered the newcomer category and said I would have likely "cleaned up" there. But I was told I couldn't enter that not being a resident of the "Brit Isles" so therefore I am not a "Brit Isles Newcomer". I didn't see that in the rules anywhere but I didn't want to cause trouble so I stuck to the normal classes. Apparently I screwed up my entry somehow nonetheless so thanks to whoever helped fix that (I have no clue what I did wrong!).

SO WHERE ARE THE PICTURES??!?!!??!

Hat Stand called me from skype on his phone so I got to see an arial view (the Wessex display bottom of the image, where the speleoolympics were on the right...I think the BPC was top left, guessing he was up on some balcony thing!) so I kinda got to see it =) It made my day nonetheless to "be there" if only for about 10 minutes.

Oh, I want the funny stories too! Must be funny stories!

Gerbil007

Hidden Earth 2011 was an absolutely brilliant weekend. Hats off to everyone who made it such a roaring success. It was my first time attending, and I'll certainly be going to as many as I can manage in the future.

Wolfart

Had the great pleasure of helping to display your work Amy, they were great,keep them coming (y).Perhaps next year you may be able to come with some more of them, you will have a great time,start saving your pennies( whoops :-[ nearly had a typo error there i'll leave you to work that out)

Peter Burgess

Of all the stuff on display, I think the cave art presentations are for me becoming better and better each year. There was some really excellent work this year. I wish I had an artistic skill put to good effect!

kay

Does anyone have any photos of the Ferret on the speleolympics? When I was there, he baulked at the dive into the ball-pit, but apparently he later overcame his nerves and completed the whole course in record time.

damian

Once again Hidden Earth was a superb event with barely a glitch across the whole weekend.

I'd just like to echo the thanks given above to Les, Wendy, the whole of the organising team, and of course the lecturers as well.  I can only begin to imagine how much effort you all put in so that I can turn up, have a great weekend and go home at the end leaving (no doubt) a huge amount of clearing up to the very same people who slaved away setting it all up in the first place.

Many, many thanks.

Amy

kay said:
Does anyone have any photos of the Ferret on the speleolympics? When I was there, he baulked at the dive into the ball-pit, but apparently he later overcame his nerves and completed the whole course in record time.
...you have....a BALL PIT!?!?! Oh damnit why did I have to miss that?!?! I used to have my own ballpit in my living room actually. It was fun.

Wolfart

Peter Burgess said:
Of all the stuff on display, I think the cave art presentations are for me becoming better and better each year. There was some really excellent work this year. I wish I had an artistic skill put to good effect!
Every year new artist in many different forms enter and it is nice to see their work no matter how good or bad you may be, have a go you never know until you try,remember practice makes perfect.

kay

Amy said:
...you have....a BALL PIT!?!?! Oh damnit why did I have to miss that?!?! I used to have my own ballpit in my living room actually. It was fun.

It's an artificial "cave" - in teams of two you have to take two full tackle sacks through the system (and, I think, back again). There's a square see-through upward sloping crawl ending in a "duck" under a bar in a ball-pit, a bit further  there's a sort of upward u-tube - go in it floor level, bend your body over a barrier at about chest height and under another at about ankle height which is only about two feet horizontally from where you came in, there's a very slippery tube sloping up at about 45 degrees, too long for normal human beings, so the first one through has to be pushed and then turn round and pull their partner ...

(The ferret, of course, being the only one of his species at the conference, ran the course without a partner)

Then of course there's the BCA cave, which is much more realistic, and very tight and contorted.

And of course ladder races, and prussiking races, and an SRT "assault course", all with prizes donated by various caving related companies.

But it'll all be there next year. Think of it as giving yourself an extra 12 months to raise the money.

Oceanrower

I have some photos of aforesaid ferret in the spelio-olympics. Unfortunately I haven't a clue how to post them on here. Fastest time of the day was 1m 51sec. Fastest time for a man with a ferret was 6m 37sec. (Though we did let him off the tackle bags - didn't have one small enough for the ferret to carry.)